Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Citizen-Son Born Outside of Canada-Sponsor Wife 

esencan
esencan

Posted On: 9/16/2015
esencan
esencan
Hi

My son was born 2.5 years ago in Turkey.

I'm a naturalize Canadian citizen (long before he was born) but I never applied for his citizenship.

We're planning to go to Canada and starting the sponsorship process and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Should I go ahead and apply for my son's Citizenship and sponsor only my wife or sponsor both of them and let CIC work it out?

We are hoping to move back in about a year.

Anyone have similar experience or advise?
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 9/17/2015
MelM
MelM
You need to submit a Proof of Citizenship application for your son and a separate PR application for your wife. If you include your son in your wife's application - CIC will eventually kick it back to you and tell you your son is already a citizen and to apply for him via the correct methods. Each application requires different paperwork and evidence - so they can't be combined.
link
esencan
esencan

esencan
esencan

You need to submit a Proof of Citizenship application for your son and a separate PR application for your wife. If you include your son in your wife's application - CIC will eventually kick it back to you and tell you your son is already a citizen and to apply for him via the correct methods. Each application requires different paperwork and evidence - so they can't be combined.

Thank you very much. Can I do these concurrently and list my son as a Canadian citizen on the IMM0008 form for my wife where it asks for dependants?
link
esencan
esencan

esencan
esencan
I just wanted to add a follow up. I realized that I should not list my son on the IMM0008 form because it clearly says so in the document itself. I also talked with the call center and they advised that I can apply for both at the same time so that is what we're going to do. Processing times seem to be about the same for both where we are so I think we should be good to go in about a year!
link