Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Studying Abroad after Applying for Citizenship 

rainexx
rainexx

Posted On: 9/17/2015
rainexx
rainexx
Hello everyone,

I am an undergraduate student applying for an exchange program in China from my university. I've sent my citizenship application on August 26th, 2015. I haven't received the acknowledgement letter yet. The exchange program is from September 2016 to June 2017. I am worried that most likely I won't be able to finish my citizenship test, take the oath and granted citizenship, then apply for student visa and all the other documents I need to bring with me. Since I have a Chinese passport, it will also be much easier for me to go to China with my PR card.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there any way I can postpone my application or put it "on-hold"?
2. Can I take my citizenship test and oath in another country?
3. How long can I postpone my citizenship test and oath?
4. How should I inform the CIC regarding my exchange program if I am going?
5. Is there penalty for not going to the citizenship test resulting in my application being canceled?

I have already called CIC call centre agents a few times and one agent told me my application is already in process so I can't withdraw with a full refund (however, did not ask any questions regarding who I am) while another one told me that they are sending out acknowledgement letters to the applications that have received before August 25th. Does that mean my application is processing but I just haven't received the acknowledgement letter?

I am worried sick because this exchange program is very important to me but receiving a RQ or doing something that could sabotage my future citizenship application is not what I want either. I don't know where else I should ask since the call centre agents are not being much helpful to me.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestion,
Raine
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 9/18/2015
MelM
MelM
1. No - you cannot postpone your application or put it on hold. The only options are to proceed with the application or withdraw.
2. No.
3. You can't postpone your citizenship test or oath. If you cannot attend, you must notify CIC and they will book you for another time (they will select the date). If you are unable to attend again, your application will most likely be refused.
4. CIC won't care that you are going on an exchange program. However it would be a good idea to notify them that you are out of the country. http://www.canadian-citizenshiptest.com/guides/how-to-change-address-in-canada.aspx
5. No - you'll just have to apply again from scratch and any fees you paid for the original application will be lost.
link