Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Want to Sponsor my Spouse 

Tzilla44
Tzilla44

Posted On: 9/23/2015
Tzilla44
Tzilla44
I am a Canadian born citizen and would like to sponsor my spouse. I have sent in my application to sponsor my spouse from the US. I have a criminal record (assault towards relative). Can I sponsor my spouse?

t
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 9/23/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

I am a Canadian born citizen and would like to sponsor my spouse. I have sent in my application to sponsor my spouse from the US. I have a criminal record (assault towards relative). Can I sponsor my spouse?

t

1. It depends. It could possibly be refused, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob361.asp especially if 5 years have not passed.

Sponsorship bar for violent crime

The sponsorship bar stops people who have been convicted of certain crimes from sponsoring a family member.

The bar for those convicted of an offence of a sexual nature and the exceptions under subsections 133(2) and 133(3) will still apply. Subsection 133(2) allows sponsorship to proceed when the conviction occurred in Canada and the individual has received a pardon, has been acquitted or where five years have elapsed since the completion of the imposed sentence. Subsection 133(3) allows sponsorship to proceed when the conviction occurred outside Canada and the individual has been acquitted, or where five years have elapsed since the completion of the imposed sentence, and the sponsor has demonstrated that they are rehabilitated.

PMM
link
Tzilla44
Tzilla44

Posted On: 10/20/2015
Tzilla44
Tzilla44
Thank you for your reply, should I have my application cancelled and wait until my criminal record is cleared in 2yrs? Or are there other ways to get my spouse perminate residency? She has a job offer and wants to work, we could really use the extra income! I'm struggling on how to proceed. Thank you for your input.

t
link