Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Residency Requirements for Permanent Residents 

dbmuscan
dbmuscan

Posted On: 10/1/2015
dbmuscan
dbmuscan
I landed on 12 October 2012 in Canada.

My Permanent Resident Card will expire on 14 December 2017.

I want to know that should I stay in Canada at least 730 days (2 years) within five years from landed date (12 October 2012) or within Expiry Date of PR card (14 December 2017) to maintain my status as a permanent resident.

I am confused regarding the two dates From landed date 12 October 2012 to 11 October 2017 or within Expiry Date 17 December 2017.

May I maintain my status as permanent resident for 730 days from Landed date 12 October 2012 to Expiry date of PR Card 14 December 2017?

Dhruba
link
Klaus
Klaus

Posted On: 10/4/2015
Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

this is explained here:
[h4]Minimum residency obligations[/h4]
[h5]You must meet the residency obligation to obtain a Permanent Resident Card.[/h5]
If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more
•you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years.

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
•you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.
link
May.Cross
May.Cross

Posted On: 10/5/2015
May.Cross
May.Cross
Hi,

Our PR Card is about to expire and we have not met the 730 days residency requirement. We would like to appeal for an extension so that we can still have a chance to fulfill this. Is this allowed? and how do we do this? Also, do we need to go to Canada to make this appeal?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 10/5/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi,

Our PR Card is about to expire and we have not met the 730 days residency requirement. We would like to appeal for an extension so that we can still have a chance to fulfill this. Is this allowed? and how do we do this? Also, do we need to go to Canada to make this appeal?

1. No, there are not extensions of the requirement to live for 2 years in every 5 year period in Canada.
2. If it is determined by CIC that you have lost your PR status, you can appeal, you would have to demonstrate that there are Humanitarian and Compassionate reasons why you didn't meet the residency requirement.

PMM
link