Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

When can I Sponsor my Parents?- PR since June 2015 

user
user

Posted On: 10/13/2015
user
user
Hello,

I landed in Canada as a permanent resident in June 2015, and has been gainfully employed since I arrived. Assuming that PGP program continues to accept applications, how soon can I sponsor my parents?

CIC website mentioned a need to submit documents for three taxation years. Does that mean I can only sponsor parents after three years?

Thanks in advance.
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 10/13/2015
MelM
MelM
The earliest you'll be able to apply is probably 2020 (this assumes that you won't make enough money in 2015 from Canadian sources to meet LICO).

Yes - you can only sponsor your parents after you have completed three consecutive years of work where your income from Canadian sources (in each year) meets LICO (the low income cut off for sponsoring your parents). You must include your notice of assessment (NOA - tax document) for each of these three years as part of the initial application to sponsor your parents. Since NOAs are not available until a few months after the end of the year and the cap for parent sponsorship is reached at the start of January - this means you will have additional time to wait before you can apply.

Let's say (for example) that 2016 is the first year you meet LICO (because you only worked for part of the year in Canada in 2015). This means you will have to wait until you have the NOAs for 2016, 2017 and 2018 before you can sumbit the sponsorship application. The NOA for 2018 won't be available until several months into 2019. This means the earliest you will be able to apply to sponsor your parents is January 2020.
link