Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

EI Benefits while Sponsorship in Progress? 

ghafoori
ghafoori

Posted On: 11/30/2015
ghafoori
ghafoori
Hi,

Can you go to Employment Insurance benefits while your application for family sponsorship is in progress?

The application for sponsorship was approved and the documents were forwarded to the Visa office for process but will take a year or longer to complete.

In the eligibility it says you should not receive social assistance while sponsering anyone. I was wondering if Receiving EI benefit because of job lose is considered receiving social assistance?

Thank you for your help.

link
MelM
MelM

MelM
MelM
EI is not a problem - go ahead and take it.

You just can't be on Ontario Works (welfare).
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
HI

Hi,

Can you go to Employment Insurance benefits while your application for family sponsorship is in progress?

The application for sponsorship was approved and the documents were forwarded to the Visa office for process but will take a year or longer to complete.

In the eligibility it says you should not receive social assistance while sponsering anyone. I was wondering if Receiving EI benefit because of job lose is considered receiving social assistance?

Thank you for your help.

1. EI is not social assistance. It is employment insurance, you pay into when you are working, and if eligible, collect when unemployed.

PMM
link
crissymills
crissymills

Posted On: 2/9/2017
crissymills
crissymills
I have a full time job but unfortunately I got layoff last week. If I apply for Employment Insurance (EI) and i'm planning to sponsor my husband back home, does it will affect my sponsorship? I'm planning to send my application for sponsorship this month. I'm scared that if I apply for sponsorship and I'm under EI maybe the government will refuse my sponsorship.
Please I need answer and help. Hoping you have any Idea. Thank you
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/10/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

crissymills wrote:
I have a full time job but unfortunately I got layoff last week. If I apply for Employment Insurance (EI) and i'm planning to sponsor my husband back home, does it will affect my sponsorship? I'm planning to send my application for sponsorship this month. I'm scared that if I apply for sponsorship and I'm under EI maybe the government will refuse my sponsorship.
Please I need answer and help. Hoping you have any Idea. Thank you

1. No, it doesn't. There is no MINI required for spousal sponsorships.
link