Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsoring my Wife's Mother 

vkdeengar
vkdeengar

Posted On: 12/4/2015
vkdeengar
vkdeengar
My wife has recently left her job post delivery and she is unemployed. We are in Canada for last 3.6 years and want to apply for her mothers PR. Can I apply as a co-sponsor considering my income fits in the LICO?

VKD
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 12/5/2015
PMM
PMM
Hi

My wife has recently left her job post delivery and she is unemployed. We are in Canada for last 3.6 years and want to apply for her mothers PR. Can I apply as a co-sponsor considering my income fits in the LICO?

VKD

1. Yes, as long as you and your spouse's income meet the LICO + 30% for the previous 3 years.

PMM
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 12/5/2015
MelM
MelM
Yes - you can co-sponsor (your wife would be the primary sponsor). Note that you must provide three years of Canadian tax returns that meet LICO to apply. This means that if you want to apply in January 2016, you will need to provide tax returns for 2012, 2013 and 2014 that all meet LICO.

Also note that there is a cap for parent/grandparent sponsorship applications and that this year that cap was reached in a day and a half. So you'll want to make sure your application reaches CIC on the first business day of January.
link
vkdeengar
vkdeengar

Posted On: 12/8/2015
vkdeengar
vkdeengar

VKD

1. Yes, as long as you and your spouse's income meet the LICO + 30% for the previous 3 years.

PMM

Thanks for your response. Really helpful.
VKD
link
vkdeengar
vkdeengar

Posted On: 12/8/2015
vkdeengar
vkdeengar
Thanks Mel for your response. I think I will have to wait for another year since I will not have full 3 years returns to show. First time I had files taxes was in 2013.

Yes - you can co-sponsor (your wife would be the primary sponsor). Note that you must provide three years of Canadian tax returns that meet LICO to apply. This means that if you want to apply in January 2016, you will need to provide tax returns for 2012, 2013 and 2014 that all meet LICO.

Also note that there is a cap for parent/grandparent sponsorship applications and that this year that cap was reached in a day and a half. So you'll want to make sure your application reaches CIC on the first business day of January.

VKD
link