Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Re-Application of Citizenship After Renunciation. 

skefeow
skefeow

Posted On: 12/25/2015
skefeow
skefeow
Hi,
I am currently holding onto two citizenship with Singapore and Canada. I was born in Canada but have moved to Singapore and am currently residing here as my family are Singaporeans. However, i am forced to choose either one by the age of 21 (which is next year), as Singapore does not allow dual-citizenships in Singapore. I would very much like to keep my Canadian citizenship, but my current situation does not allow it and i am afraid that if i do choose Canada, Singapore wont grant me Permenant Recidency to stay with my family.
I also do not have anyone i know residing in Canada thus, i would have to move there all on my own.
Therefore i am planning on dropping my Canadian citizenship first, and only moving back there couple of years later.
By doing so, is it possible?
And what are my chances of obtaining back my Canadian Citizenship?
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 12/25/2015
MelM
MelM
If you renounce your citizenship then you will have to apply for permanent residency before you can return to Canada to live (you won't be able to become a citizen again directly). Once you've lived in Canada long enough after becoming a PR, you'll be able to apply to be a citizen again. Before you renounce your Canadian citizenship you may want to read through the rules for applying for permanent residency to understand what it takes and if you would even qualify (it's not a simple process): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp
link