Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Spouse Sponsorship - Child/Unemployment Benefits 

iriabov001
iriabov001

Posted On: 2/15/2016
iriabov001
iriabov001
Hello everyone. I am a Canadian citizen and I have submitted a spouse sponsorship application for my common-law spouse. This was an inland application as she lives here with me in Canada.

The approval process is very long and we are about 2 years away from the final approval.

She currently has a work permit.

My question is - if we have a baby in the near future - is it a good idea if she collects the EI maternity benefits? She is legally allowed to do that and already applied for it.

I heard that if she collects the employment insurance benefits during the application period, our application might get revoked. Is that true?

Also, will the same rule also apply to regular unemployment benefits received?

She hasn't received any EI benefits yet, but if there is anything that might jeopardize the application, we will cancel the EI support application.

Can you please help?

Ivan
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/15/2016
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello everyone. I am a Canadian citizen and I have submitted a spouse sponsorship application for my common-law spouse. This was an inland application as she lives here with me in Canada.

The approval process is very long and we are about 2 years away from the final approval.

She currently has a work permit.

My question is - if we have a baby in the near future - is it a good idea if she collects the EI maternity benefits? She is legally allowed to do that and already applied for it.

I heard that if she collects the employment insurance benefits during the application period, our application might get revoked. Is that true?

Also, will the same rule also apply to regular unemployment benefits received?

She hasn't received any EI benefits yet, but if there is anything that might jeopardize the application, we will cancel the EI support application.

Can you please help?

Ivan

1, You heard wrong, EI is not social assistance, it is an insurance scheme, you pay in while you work and collect when you are unemployed.

PMM
link