Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

City of Destination 

Msubbiah3
Msubbiah3

Posted On: 2/22/2016
Msubbiah3
Msubbiah3
Hello,
I recently got my COPR in which the dest.of arrival has been mentioned as Calgary since I have worked there for a year and before leaving the employer gave an offer letter unsupported by LMIA which I used while applying for my PR under FSW.Now I'm currently in India an wish to land in Toronto directly for my living. If I land in Toronto now will that create a problem at the point of entry. Please advise.

Thanks,
Malavan

Thanks,
Malavan
link
reslanw
reslanw

Posted On: 2/23/2016
reslanw
reslanw
Hey,

Same situation for me. City of destination on COPR is Vancouver, however I plan to land first in Windsor for a couple of months since I have friends there who can help me get settled in.
Appreciate any advice on this. Is it acceptable ? Would the immigration officer cause any trouble because of this ?
link
JustinJones3000
JustinJones3000

Posted On: 2/24/2016
JustinJones3000
JustinJones3000
A friend of mine was wondering about a similar problem - did you guys get any answers?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/24/2016
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hey,

Same situation for me. City of destination on COPR is Vancouver, however I plan to land first in Windsor for a couple of months since I have friends there who can help me get settled in.
Appreciate any advice on this. Is it acceptable ? Would the immigration officer cause any trouble because of this ?

1. As long as you weren't selected under a PNP program, your destination city doesn't matter unless you intend to reside in Quebec and don't have a CSQ

PMM
link
Nico783
Nico783

Posted On: 3/30/2016
Nico783
Nico783
Hello,
as an additional I would like to know if I can also apply for the SIN and the health insurance in the province where I will land at first?
So on my paper work is Ontario and Toronto but I would like to land in St. John's in Newfoundland. Can I get my SIN there and can I apply for the health insurance there to because we will stay in this province?
Thank you
Nico
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/31/2016
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello,
as an additional I would like to know if I can also apply for the SIN and the health insurance in the province where I will land at first?
So on my paper work is Ontario and Toronto but I would like to land in St. John's in Newfoundland. Can I get my SIN there and can I apply for the health insurance there to because we will stay in this province?
Thank you
Nico

1. Yes, you can apply for your SIN in NFLD and you will be eligible for health insurance
2. You apply for the Medical Health Plan, but there is a 3 month wait for coverage (Month you arrive, plus 2 more months)

PMM
link