Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

COPR/Visa Name Error - Will Be Corrected at POE? 

hereicomecanada
hereicomecanada

Posted On: 4/1/2016
hereicomecanada
hereicomecanada
Hello all

Although I sent my passport, they made an error in my name (switched first and last name) on the visa and CoPR.

Because of time constraint I already made my travel arrangements to land in mid April and do not have time to get it corrected. I have couple of questions which are as follows:

1. How critical is it to get the error corrected? CoPR and visa are just temporary documents.

2. When I land in mid April, can I send the correction forms along with the forms that the IO prepares so that they can get my correct name on the PR card?

Any reply is appreciated. Thank you
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 4/2/2016
PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello all

Although I sent my passport, they made an error in my name (switched first and last name) on the visa and CoPR.

Because of time constraint I already made my travel arrangements to land in mid April and do not have time to get it corrected. I have couple of questions which are as follows:

1. How critical is it to get the error corrected? CoPR and visa are just temporary documents.

2. When I land in mid April, can I send the correction forms along with the forms that the IO prepares so that they can get my correct name on the PR card?

1. You have to get it corrected before you leave, it can't be corrected at the Port of Entry, the reversal of the name is a major problem.
2. The COPR is not a temporary document, you will need to keep it safe, as you will need it when it comes time to apply for your Old age pension.
3. Your PR card, would be issued in exactly the same name that is on your COPR.

PMM
link
hereicomecanada
hereicomecanada

Posted On: 4/2/2016
hereicomecanada
hereicomecanada

Hi

Hello all

1. You have to get it corrected before you leave, it can't be corrected at the Port of Entry, the reversal of the name is a major problem.
2. The COPR is not a temporary document, you will need to keep it safe, as you will need it when it comes time to apply for your Old age pension.

PMM

Thank you PMM for the response. Sorry, I was not clear on what I was asking. My passport does not have Surname(Last name) but only given (first) name. I got my visa/CoPR and they have used my given(first) name as Family name and left Given name blank. Its the same thing in my US visa, Given Name is FNU(first name unknown) and Surname is my given name in my passport.

Is this an error that i need to get corrected or that's how it's done in North America? I am planning to enter Canada in mid April. Please advise on what I need to do. Your response is appreciated.

Thank you
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 4/3/2016
PMM
PMM
HI

Hi

Hello all

PMM

Thank you PMM for the response. Sorry, I was not clear on what I was asking. My passport does not have Surname(Last name) but only given (first) name. I got my visa/CoPR and they have used my given(first) name as Family name and left Given name blank. Its the same thing in my US visa, Given Name is FNU(first name unknown) and Surname is my given name in my passport.

Is this an error that i need to get corrected or that's how it's done in North America? I am planning to enter Canada in mid April. Please advise on what I need to do. Your response is appreciated.

Thank you

1. If you don't have a surname, your given name will be in the surname box on the COPR and the given name will be blank, the same for your PR card. So you don't have to do anything.

2. Your original posted stated that your surname and given name were reversed, so I gave you a response to that question. You never said you didn't have a surname.

PMM
link
hereicomecanada
hereicomecanada

Posted On: 4/5/2016
hereicomecanada
hereicomecanada
Thank you and sorry for not being clear.

HI

Hi

Hello all

PMM

Thank you

1. If you don't have a surname, your given name will be in the surname box on the COPR and the given name will be blank, the same for your PR card. So you don't have to do anything.

2. Your original posted stated that your surname and given name were reversed, so I gave you a response to that question. You never said you didn't have a surname.

PMM
link
insanecrush
insanecrush

Posted On: 9/26/2017
insanecrush
insanecrush
Hello, PMM
I got my COPR last week with my marital status incorrectly mentioned as 'Married'. I'm a divorcee and had mentioned it clearly in my application for FSW-Outland PR. Had attached the divorce decree dated July 28, 2016 too. Date of COPR - September 14, 2017. Should I have it corrected by sending the original divorce decree's copy to CIC? The visa stamped on my passport also clearly states 'Admit one person'. I live in India and intend to land in Toronto by March 2018. I raised a request in the IRCC Web Form - New Delhi link, but haven't heard back from them. Apparently, they will respond in 30 days. Kindly advise. Thank you.
link
vishalp22
vishalp22

Posted On: 11/9/2017
vishalp22
vishalp22
Hello Team,

firstly, Many Thanks for setting up this discussion forum.
I was recently issued COPR and got Canada visa stamped on my passport. Need help on the following:

1. Since I don't have a last name/surname on my application/passport - My COPR mentions my Family Name as Vishal. This is absolutely fine and here I have no issues.

2. Canada Visa on my Passport - This Visa shows my name as Vishal , (followed by a comma). I would really wish to make sure that this additional comma , is as per CIC standards.

3. Another question is my City of Destination on COPR is Toronto. Can I, therefore, land at any Toronto airport on any day/time or do I need to be concerned about the Toronto Airport - I need to book my first ever flight ticket for completing the final validation step.

4. Can you please confirm whether Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) is one of the valid ports of entries for PR applicants and if their day/work timings can be provided so as to book ticket accordingly.

Further, I did visit the CBSA site and according to it, Immigration services are only provided at 7 airports across Ontario.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/services/imm-eng.html

Sincerely appreciate all your help and guidance.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 11/9/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

vishalp22 wrote:
Hello Team,

firstly, Many Thanks for setting up this discussion forum.
I was recently issued COPR and got Canada visa stamped on my passport. Need help on the following:

1. Since I don't have a last name/surname on my application/passport - My COPR mentions my Family Name as Vishal. This is absolutely fine and here I have no issues.

2. Canada Visa on my Passport - This Visa shows my name as Vishal , (followed by a comma). I would really wish to make sure that this additional comma , is as per CIC standards.

3. Another question is my City of Destination on COPR is Toronto. Can I, therefore, land at any Toronto airport on any day/time or do I need to be concerned about the Toronto Airport - I need to book my first ever flight ticket for completing the final validation step.

4. Can you please confirm whether Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) is one of the valid ports of entries for PR applicants and if their day/work timings can be provided so as to book ticket accordingly.

Further, I did visit the CBSA site and according to it, Immigration services are only provided at 7 airports across Ontario.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/services/imm-eng.html

Sincerely appreciate all your help and guidance.

1. The comma means nothing, so you don't have to worry.
2. Toronto International is open at all times when international flights arrive.
link
xtremeimagination
xtremeimagination

Posted On: 11/27/2017
Hello,

I became a PR on Dec 2010 but my name on my landing form was reversed from what's on my Pakistan passport i.e. from Irfan Muhammad (first, last) it has now become Muhammad Irfan (first, last) - I asked the Service Canada official at time of getting my PR Card that how do I get it corrected and he advised to get it done after citizenship, hence I went about with daily life and have now got CRA tax returns, credit cards, health, Licence etc all under the "New" name - I also got my PR card recently renewed as it had expired.

I have been in and out of Canada twice after landing, with the combination of my Pakistan passport and "reversed" PR Card - I have several business visits coming up in the next few months and am just wondering

Q1 - if I could possibly run into any potential or unforeseen problems with either the airlines of at the Port of entry.

Q2 - What should I do to legally adopt the new name -

any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
link
Preety Kumari
Preety Kumari

Posted On: 2/9/2018
Preety Kumari
Preety Kumari
Hi
I have the same problem, in my COPR and visa they left the space for 1st name and used my given name as last name ...in my passport there’s only given name (Preety Kumari) & don’t have any last name ... I overlooked and landed in Vancouver.. I realised this while making PR card and other documents... now what to do ? How to get it rectified as in some of the cards like PR card and DL is like [,Preety Kumari] same as in COPR and in MSP it’s kumari,Preety ana it’s without photo I’d due to all this mismatch ...

What should I do now ?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/9/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

Preety Kumari wrote:
Hi
I have the same problem, in my COPR and visa they left the space for 1st name and used my given name as last name ...in my passport there’s only given name (Preety Kumari) & don’t have any last name ... I overlooked and landed in Vancouver.. I realised this while making PR card and other documents... now what to do ? How to get it rectified as in some of the cards like PR card and DL is like [,Preety Kumari] same as in COPR and in MSP it’s kumari,Preety ana it’s without photo I’d due to all this mismatch ...

What should I do now ?

1. There is nothing to do. As IRCC places the given names in the Surname space on the visa and the COPR if you don't have a surname, and the given name is left blank. See:

From IRCC

"
What do you mean by surname? Your surname is your family name. It is also called your “last name.” When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document.
Do not use initials.
If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “Not applicable,” “*” or “NA.”
link
GP2022
GP2022

Posted On: 3/29/2018
GP2022
GP2022
Hello Seniors,

I have received my COPR yesterday and while verifying the details, found a typo in place of birth on my wife's COPR which shows NZBHA instead of NABHA. (letter Z is printed in place of A). Rest of the information is correct on COPR.

Please advise if i have to submit the document at embassy for correction or i can have it corrected at port of entry canada.
link
kmsshru
kmsshru

Posted On: 11/27/2018
kmsshru
kmsshru
Hi all,

I saw many name correction posts in this thread and I have a similar query. I would really appreciate it if anyone can clarify.
I got my passport back today from VFS. In the counterfoil, my first name/given name is missing the last letter but in the CoPR document it is correct.

I have a pretty long name. first name/given name - 12 characters
last name/surname - 22 characters + 1 space
no middle name

I assumed that it might be a space issue and hence my given name is truncated (only last letter is missing).
Can anyone clarify?
I just need to know if I need to contact Visa Office New Delhi about this or is it not needed..

Thanks a lot in advace!
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 11/29/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

kmsshru wrote:
Hi all,

I saw many name correction posts in this thread and I have a similar query. I would really appreciate it if anyone can clarify.
I got my passport back today from VFS. In the counterfoil, my first name/given name is missing the last letter but in the CoPR document it is correct.

I have a pretty long name. first name/given name - 12 characters
last name/surname - 22 characters + 1 space
no middle name

I assumed that it might be a space issue and hence my given name is truncated (only last letter is missing).
Can anyone clarify?
I just need to know if I need to contact Visa Office New Delhi about this or is it not needed..

Thanks a lot in advace!

1. No you don't have to contact Delhi. The name is truncated because of the length, but the complete name will be in the system.
link
Aamritha1983
Aamritha1983

Posted On: 3/22/2019
Aamritha1983
Aamritha1983
Hi

i recently got my work permit to Canada stamped and in the stamping i found that they have not completely printed my Given / First name correctly

In Passport, my first/given name is : Aamritha
In Stamping : Aamrith

(They left out the last character)

They got my last name correctly.
Can anyone help understand if this will be a issue when i travel .
I just need to know if i have to contact Visa Office in Bangalore and what would be the process to correct it.

Thanks in advance
link