Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsoring a dependent child 

Rach052
Rach052

Posted On: 4/2/2016
Rach052
Rach052
Hi

I am hoping someone can provide information or perhaps has been in a similar situation.

Myself, my husband and our 2 daughters have PR in Canada. My husband has a child from a previous relationship who we declared on our application as a non accompanying dependent. At the time we were unable to have the child examined for medicals and advised CIC of this.
Since then the circumstances have changed and my husband is in the process of obtaining full custody.
My question is can we apply for sponsorship? If not what are our options? Does anybody have experience of a similar situation?

Thanks!
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi

I am hoping someone can provide information or perhaps has been in a similar situation.

Myself, my husband and our 2 daughters have PR in Canada. My husband has a child from a previous relationship who we declared on our application as a non accompanying dependent. At the time we were unable to have the child examined for medicals and advised CIC of this.
Since then the circumstances have changed and my husband is in the process of obtaining full custody.
My question is can we apply for sponsorship? If not what are our options? Does anybody have experience of a similar situation?

Thanks!

1. All though the child was declare s/he was not "examined" so the child can't be sponsored.
2. The only way is if the child submits a Humanitarian and compassionate application under S25.1 of the Regulations.
3. Start your reading here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/hc/processing/hardship.asp

PMM
link
MelM
MelM

MelM
MelM
Since the child was not medically examined as part of your application, he/she can unfortunately never be sponsored by you.

The child will have to immigrate independently once he/she is an adult and meets the criteria for immigrating. In the meantime, you could look into a study permit provided you can find a school that will accept the child and are able to pay foreign student tuition fees.
link
guldana
guldana

Posted On: 1/24/2017
guldana
guldana
My common law has an 11-year-old daughter who entered Canada as a visitor and she is approved to go to school. my common law became PR being sponsored by another partner three years ago. Since she cannot sponsor her daughter in the first 5 years, I am just wondering if I could under the family sponsor class. we live together for longer than one year, we have a child together, I have the income required for sponsoring a dependent child. considering that we have the biological father consent, is it possible to apply for her immigration?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/25/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

guldana wrote:
My common law has an 11-year-old daughter who entered Canada as a visitor and she is approved to go to school. my common law became PR being sponsored by another partner three years ago. Since she cannot sponsor her daughter in the first 5 years, I am just wondering if I could under the family sponsor class. we live together for longer than one year, we have a child together, I have the income required for sponsoring a dependent child. considering that we have the biological father consent, is it possible to apply for her immigration?

1. You are reading the sponsorship rules incorrectly. It is only a spouse that was sponsored, is ineligible to sponsor a spouse for 5 years. If the child was examined during her parent's application, then there is nothing stopping an out of Canada sponsorship. It can be done while the child resides in Canada. Note there is no "in-Canada sponsorships" except for spouses.
link