Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLegal Services and Human Rights

Courts, Human Rights, Lawyers and Legal Representation, Community Legal Clinics, Legal Aid, Police...

Can my mother get her subsidy back? 

Patrick
Patrick

Posted On: 8/3/2016
Patrick
Patrick
Hi my mother is living in a co op in Toronto and she is disable and has been for about 10 years now.

The co op she lives in as of 1 year ago has stopped here subsidy on her rent. Now she is paying for rent in the money she gets from the government and is not very much to live on when paying full rent.

What can she do to fight this. Thank you
link

Posted On: 8/5/2016
Hello Patrick,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. This must be a frustrating situation for your mother to be in.

From how I understand your question: your mother, who has a disability, lives in co-op housing in Toronto and she lost her subsidy within the past year and is now paying the full 'market' rent for her unit.

If she was receiving a subsidy under Housing Connections, she must contact them to first find out why she lost her subsidy; there are certain eligibility requirements. You may be able to help her with some of these steps. Toronto Housing Connections has a Resource Centre and you can call them to speak with a representative. Depending on her age she may be considered for the Seniors Housing subsidy.

If your mother was not receiving a subsidy under the Housing Connections program you will need to have her contact the organization that she was receiving her subsidy with and follow a similar path, “why did she lose it?”, “what must she do to be eligible again?”. It may have been though Co-Operative Housing Federation Toronto (CHFT).

You can read more about subsidized housing eligibility on Settlement.Org.

Depending on your mother’s specific situation you may also wish to contact a community legal clinic for assistance in getting her subsidy back.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

===
The Settlement.Org Team
link