Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeElementary and Secondary School

Adult Education, Elementary and Secondary School...

What grade will my children be enrolled in? 

thesharvits@hotmail.com
[email protected]

Posted On: 8/4/2016
Hello,

My family members are arriving to Canada in a couple of weeks as a PR with their 2 children ages 11 and 14. Both kids were born in November and in their old country school registration is according to age but the cut off is September rather than January. According to their birth year, the kids should be enrolled in grade 7 and 10, however they completed grade 5 and 8 in Hungary and the natural progression for them would be grade 6 and 9 and not 7 and 10. They do not want to skip a grade. Because their birthdays are mid-November they would only be 1 ½ months older than the other kids in the grade.
link

Posted On: 8/5/2016
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Generally in elementary schools in Ontario, children are placed in a grade according to their age as well. For secondary schools, students will have to take an assessment that will determine the right grade for them.

You can find more information on Settlement.Org’s articles on “Which grade will my child enter when we move to Ontario?” and “How is my child assessed to start school in Ontario?”

You can also go to a community agency that will help to register the children. Ask your family members to bring along the children’s previous report cards or even textbooks from their previous school. This will help the agency to assess and register the children properly. You can find a Newcomer Reception Centre in your area to get more help.

Here are some resources that can provide more information on school systems in Ontario:

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

===
The Settlement.Org Team
link