Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Eligible to sponsor Mother IF received EI? 

mapleleaf
mapleleaf

Posted On: 8/22/2016
mapleleaf
mapleleaf
Hi everybody,

I am planning to sponsor my mom. I read this on the office website: ( the underlined part plz)
  • You may not be eligible to sponsor your parent or grandparent if you:
    • failed to provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
    • defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
    • received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
    • were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances, such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a record suspension (formerly called “pardons” in Canada), was issued
I used to get EI in 2012. Am I eligable to sponsor my mom in 2017?

Thanks a lot for your help..
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 8/23/2016
PMM
PMM
Hi

mapleleaf wrote:
Hi everybody,

I am planning to sponsor my mom. I read this on the office website: ( the underlined part plz)
  • You may not be eligible to sponsor your parent or grandparent if you:
    • failed to provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
    • defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
    • received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
    • were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances, such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a record suspension (formerly called “pardons” in Canada), was issued
I used to get EI in 2012. Am I eligable to sponsor my mom in 2017?

Thanks a lot for your help..

1. EI is not public assistance, it is an insurance scheme where you pay when you are working and collect when you are not working. It has no effect on sponsorship.
link
mapleleaf
mapleleaf

Posted On: 8/23/2016
mapleleaf
mapleleaf
That's great!
Thank you very much PMM.
link