Lost password

HomeServices for Specific Groups

Child, Youth and Family, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered, People with Disabilities, Seniors, Women...

Canada Child Benefit Eligibility 

Posts: 3

Posted On: 10/26/2016
Posts: 3
My husband and I are both permanent residents living in Toronto with our daughter. We landed about two months ago. Our daughter was born in our own country after we got permanent resident status, so she is staying here as a visitor. We already applied for our daughter's permanent residence and it is being processed now.

So I am wondering if I am eligible to receive the CCB for my daughter before staying here for 18 months. We meet all the requirements posted on the following site and it does not mention anything about the child's status.

Your support is highly appreciated. Thank you so much.
Posts: 4027

Posted On: 11/1/2016
Posts: 4027
Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be intrerested in this type of information.

In terms of the status of your child, the RC66 - Canada Child Benefits Application simply states,
Part 4 – Information about the child(ren)

Fill out this part to provide information about the child(ren).

Do not provide information about a child for whom you have already applied, unless the child left your care and has now returned.
When do you need to provide proof of birth?

You need to attach proof of birth for the child, on which the child’s last name, given name, and date of birth appear, if we have not previously paid benefits to anyone for this child, and one of the following applies:
  • the child was born outside Canada; or
  • the child was born in Canada and is one year of age or older.

Attach clear photocopies of both sides of all pages of one of the following documents for proof of birth:
  • birth certificate or birth registration;
  • hospital record of birth or record of the physician, nurse, or midwife who attended the birth;
  • passport;
  • Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
  • citizenship certificate; or
  • Notice of Decision or a Temporary Resident's Permit issued under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

In terms of what may be needed to be completed by you and your spouse, you can find some information on the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website in the You or your spouse or common-law partner are a new or returning resident or citizen of Canada section.

Here is an excerpt,

You or your spouse or common-law partner are a new or returning resident or citizen of Canada

You must complete Schedule RC66SCH, Status in Canada/Statement of Income and include it with your application if either you or your spouse or common-law partner:

  • became a new resident or returned as a resident of Canada in the last two years
  • became Canadian citizens within the last 12 months

You may want to contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) directly for some information specific to your situation.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.
Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CIRS