Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Resume Canadian Citizenship as an Adult- Possible? 

JM-RS
JM-RS

Posted On: 12/20/2016
JM-RS
JM-RS
I was a 15 when I became a Canadian citizen, I attended the Oath ceremony but was not required to sit the test. My parents made the decision to renounce our Canadian citizenship when we left Canada.

I have been in the UK 10 years, I want to return to Canada but I am unsure if I apply to resume citizenship or will I need to start again?

Need some advice!

link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 12/20/2016
PMM
PMM
Hi

JM-RS wrote:
I was a 15 when I became a Canadian citizen, I attended the Oath ceremony but was not required to sit the test. My parents made the decision to renounce our Canadian citizenship when we left Canada.

I have been in the UK 10 years, I want to return to Canada but I am unsure if I apply to resume citizenship or will I need to start again?

Need some advice!

1. Are you sure your parents renounced their citizenship? Just leaving Canada doesn't result in a renouncement it is a formal process. Under the present Act, minors can't renounce citizenship. You probably should apply for proof of citizenship, and determine if your citizenship was actually renounced. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp
link