Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Pick up renewed PR card or renounce PR? 

Mr. Sea
Mr. Sea

Posted On: 1/11/2017
Mr. Sea
Mr. Sea
Hello, I have a difficult decision about whether to have my wife pick up her approved, renewed PR card, or renounce her PR status.

The problem is we are currently living overseas in Asia, and my wife has been asked to pick up her renewed PR card in person in Canada. Not only will it cost more than a thousand dollars to fly to Canada to get the card, but she will also have to apply for a Travel Document to enter Canada since her previous card is expired. The travel document costs over a hundred dollars itself, since the local embassy outsources the application process to another country, and uses a third party company to receive the application and transfer it to the other country.
The original PR application itself was a thousand dollars, plus my wife paid a few hundred dollars for translated documents on her end.

So, I am faced with the question of whether it is worth spending the money to get the new PR card, or just renouncing her PR status until we move back to Canada some time in the future (currently undecided). I am not sure how easy it will be to apply for PR status again in the future (I am a Canadian citizen sponsoring her) if she has already renounced it in the past.

Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/11/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

Mr. Sea wrote:
Hello, I have a difficult decision about whether to have my wife pick up her approved, renewed PR card, or renounce her PR status.

The problem is we are currently living overseas in Asia, and my wife has been asked to pick up her renewed PR card in person in Canada. Not only will it cost more than a thousand dollars to fly to Canada to get the card, but she will also have to apply for a Travel Document to enter Canada since her previous card is expired. The travel document costs over a hundred dollars itself, since the local embassy outsources the application process to another country, and uses a third party company to receive the application and transfer it to the other country.
The original PR application itself was a thousand dollars, plus my wife paid a few hundred dollars for translated documents on her end.

So, I am faced with the question of whether it is worth spending the money to get the new PR card, or just renouncing her PR status until we move back to Canada some time in the future (currently undecided). I am not sure how easy it will be to apply for PR status again in the future (I am a Canadian citizen sponsoring her) if she has already renounced it in the past.

Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

1. She doesn't have to renounce her PR status, as she is residing with a Canadian citizen spouse abroad, which preserves her PR status.
2. So when she wishes to return to Canada, she would have to apply for PR Travel Document, which is $50 plus VAC fees. She could apply for a multiple entry PRTD, usually valid for 5 years.
3. If she renounced her PR, you would have to sponsor her, and that would cost you over $2K in fees, document translations and medical exams.
link
IrIn
IrIn

Posted On: 10/2/2017
IrIn
IrIn
Hi ,First of all let me thank all for sharing their situation and the very professional answers.
Here is my situation that I need your help and comment .
My husband and I live outside of Canada,I am a Canadian citizen and he is a permanent resident that under residency obligation we applied for MPRTD for him Feb2017 in Canada office in our area.The application went to process and he was offered MPRTD valid for only one year.
Our kids live and study in Canada so we need to visit them every 4-5 months.He went to visit them with this Travel document once and is about to visit them again next week .
Do you think that it's a wise decision to apply for PR card issuance this time in Canada?As we are not relocating soon!!!!is he eligible to apply for PR legally?
The next question is ,when we should apply for next MPRTD?In our area ,waiting time is at least 2 months! And what if we need him to be there in any emergency !!Is there any exception ?and why they don't issue 5 years MPRTD?

Thank you
link