Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Re-entering Canada 

happy_canadian
happy_canadian

Posted On: 1/16/2017
happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hello,
My parents became PR on April 1st 2014. They then left the country after taking the PR Card. They have visited twice since then once in 2015 and again 2016 each time for a period of 2 months. This means they have only stayed in the country for 4 months. If they visit Canada after August 2017 can they be stopped at the Airport and denied entry into Canada for not fulfilling residency requirements ?
Please advise.

Thanks
IQ
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/16/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

happy_canadian wrote:
Hello,
My parents became PR on April 1st 2014. They then left the country after taking the PR Card. They have visited twice since then once in 2015 and again 2016 each time for a period of 2 months. This means they have only stayed in the country for 4 months. If they visit Canada after August 2017 can they be stopped at the Airport and denied entry into Canada for not fulfilling residency requirements ?
Please advise.

Thanks
IQ

1. Yes they can. if they won't have met their Residency requirement of residing in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period or would be unable to before April/2019.
2. They wouldn't be denied entry, but they would be reported and would have 30 days to appeal, or the removal order issued at the time of the report becomes effective.
link
brems11
brems11

Posted On: 2/8/2017
brems11
brems11
Hello,

I am in this case. I obtained my PR card in Mars 2013 but only spend 1 month in Canada and back to my country.
Now I want to come again and settle permanently in Canada.
Could you let me know if my PR card may be renewed in Mars 2018 if I get a full time job in Canada (I plan to headed in June 2017).

Many thanks.

KB
link
happy_canadian
happy_canadian

Posted On: 2/14/2017
happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hello,
Since you have lived for most of the time outside of Canada after getting your PR card, you are not eligible for renewal of PR. This will be the case even if you get a job here. However, If you get a job you can probably get a job visa but as far as PR status is concerned you have to stay in the country for the required number of days, which I believe is 730 days in a 5 year period since becoming PR, I hope this answers your question.
Thanks
IQ
link