Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

PR Application or PR Card?- Which One?-Still a PR? 

ForumUser
ForumUser

Posted On: 1/19/2017
ForumUser
ForumUser
I arrived in Ottawa as a GAR (was given PR status) on Jul 16, 2001. I stayed in Canada for 2.5 years and then moved to the US when I was 17 in Dec 2003.

I did not renounce my PR Status in Canada when I moved to the US. During my time in the US, I got my American citizenship. In 2013, I got married to a Canadian citizen in the US.
I moved back to Canada in November 2014 to live with my husband and have lived here for 760 days without leaving. I have since gotten an OHIP card and a driver`s license. I have also been employed the entire time and have filed my income tax returns for two years.

I have kept my Landed Immigrant papers and also an expired travel document from my time in Canada in 2001.

When I entered Canada in November 2014, the border agent informed me that I still have my PR status because I had not renounced it and it had not been taken away. Now that I have completed the residency requirement of 760 days (2 years) in the last 1825 days (5 years), I am ready to apply for a new PR card or travel document.

However I am not sure if I should apply for a confirmation of status or just for a new card. A PR application is $490, while a applying for a card is $50. Since I already have my status, do I need to apply for a PR (confirmation of status) or just the card (lost or stolen application)?

Please advise.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/20/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

1. You got lucky in that you weren't reported on your original entry in 2014. If you now have 730 days of residence since 2014, just apply for a new PR card.
link
VWATfamilyservices
VWATfamilyservices

Posted On: 1/25/2017
Hello,

IRCC (previously known as CIC) requires you to live in Canada at least 2 years in a five years period. It looks like you are eligible to apply for a PR renewal by now. PR application is a completely different thing and $490 is Right of Permanent Resident Fee which you had paid the first time you applied to become Canadian Permanent Resident.
PR Renewal application is very simple. You can go to this link and see the questions yourself: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp
I would suggest you to start with PR renewal application, and pay more attention to question 19 and 20 and IRCC would want to know your history outside of Canada.
All the best,
link