Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Child Born to Cdn. Parent born Outside Canada 

ForumUser
ForumUser

Posted On: 2/3/2017
ForumUser
ForumUser
I am a Canadian citizen born to a Canadian parent outside of Canada ( got my citizenship through my father)
Is my child a Canadian who is born outside Canada ?
If not , how to make him a Canadian ?
How long will it take if I am in Canada ? Outside Canada ?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/3/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

ForumUser wrote:
I am a Canadian citizen born to a Canadian parent outside of Canada ( got my citizenship through my father)
Is my child a Canadian who is born outside Canada ?
If not , how to make him a Canadian ?
How long will it take if I am in Canada ? Outside Canada ?

1. No, if the child is second generation born abroad after 2009, therefor you would have to return to Canada and sponsor the child for Permanent Residence. Once the child is a PR and residing in Canada, you can, as a Canadian citizen, apply for his/her citizenship. Processing times are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp
link
Tara
Tara

Posted On: 3/25/2018
Tara
Tara
Hi
I am a Canadian PR and my daughter is a citizen of Canada.
My husband is in our home country as he is working there amd has no plans of immigrating here.
We are planning to stay in our home country.
Can my daughter loose her citizenship if she stays in our home country for a long period and does not visit Canada??
Thank
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/26/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

Tara wrote:
Hi
I am a Canadian PR and my daughter is a citizen of Canada.
My husband is in our home country as he is working there amd has no plans of immigrating here.
We are planning to stay in our home country.
Can my daughter loose her citizenship if she stays in our home country for a long period and does not visit Canada??
Thank

1. No, she can't lose her citizenship by being outside Canada. Although you can lose your PR status.
link