Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Open work permit wait times 

bwong
bwong

Posted On: 2/8/2017
bwong
bwong
Hi Settlement.org team,

I applied in Canada for permanent residency through spousal sponsorship. My application reached Mississauga on November 8, 2016, and processing officially began November 29, 2016.

I applied for an open work permit at the same time; I put the application in the same envelope. As I understand it, through 2015 and 2016 there was a pilot program in place that allowed spouses to apply for their open work permits concurrently with their PR status so that they can work while their PR application is processed.

I understand that my PR wait time will be 26 months, according to the processing times available through the CIC website. However, I would really, really like to know how long it will take for me to get a work permit. In these few months, my status (that I've been checking online) has not changed.

I searched this forum for similar requests, and found that the forum Moderator typically tells these posters to call the IRCC call center to inquire about their specific case. However, my inquiry would not fit any of the requirements listed on the IRCC website for what merits a call to the call center.

Is there any other information available about how long open work permit applications take to process when they were submitted with PR applications from within Canada?

Thank you very much for your time and help. Looking forward to your reply.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/9/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

bwong wrote:
Hi Settlement.org team,

I applied in Canada for permanent residency through spousal sponsorship. My application reached Mississauga on November 8, 2016, and processing officially began November 29, 2016.

I applied for an open work permit at the same time; I put the application in the same envelope. As I understand it, through 2015 and 2016 there was a pilot program in place that allowed spouses to apply for their open work permits concurrently with their PR status so that they can work while their PR application is processed.

I understand that my PR wait time will be 26 months, according to the processing times available through the CIC website. However, I would really, really like to know how long it will take for me to get a work permit. In these few months, my status (that I've been checking online) has not changed.

I searched this forum for similar requests, and found that the forum Moderator typically tells these posters to call the IRCC call center to inquire about their specific case. However, my inquiry would not fit any of the requirements listed on the IRCC website for what merits a call to the call center.

Is there any other information available about how long open work permit applications take to process when they were submitted with PR applications from within Canada?

Thank you very much for your time and help. Looking forward to your reply.

1. The processing time for a SWOP with an In-Canada application is 4 months.
link
bwong
bwong

Posted On: 2/13/2017
bwong
bwong
Thank you very much!
link
Don mark
Don mark

Posted On: 2/21/2017
Don mark
Don mark
Good day,
I've been here in Canada for a bit longer years and because of my inadmissibility issue all my application was denied, I lost a lot of money hiring a immigration lawyer but still they can't do anything. Then I meet my husband and we got married last year then after we file my inland spousal application.
My question is... is their any pobility to apply for TRP or new work permit even I lost my status long time ago?
Btw when I interview the immigration officer regarding my over stayed here in Canada she removed me from deportation because I'm a legally married to a Canadian citizen.

Thank you for reading my letter and I'm looking forward hearing any feedback.
link

Posted On: 2/24/2017
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation with us.

You can find information about restoring your Temporary Residency Status on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

You may also find the information in this article to be useful: I am married to my sponsor but I don't have PR yet. Can I work in Canada? Finally, you may want to contact a Community Legal Clinic for help with your specific situation.

We wish you the best of luck. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

- Your Settlement.Org team
link
Mishman2018
Mishman2018

Posted On: 10/13/2017
Mishman2018
Mishman2018
Hello.

Part1
I have never been to canada before. And niether any of my family.
In cic website. I checked my eligibility.
I selected i want to come for work. Temporary visit under 6 months.
There is a question i didnt understood.
It said:
Are u coming to canada with a spouse or common law partner who is, or will be working in Canada?
As i am coming with my wife and child (5yr). I answered Yes.
Is it correct???
After i answered yes. The website showed that YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR AN OPEN WORK PERMIT.
then i answered further easy questions.
Then there is a question that why is your spouse coming?
So i selected for work ( because in reflection to above question i have to say yes ) .
Please reply my above query.

Part 2
In my situation If i apply for open work permit for me and my spouse and visit for my child.
How much time it will take to process.?
Can i apply for an open work permit from my current living country as i have never been to canada before.
What are the chances to get approved?
Iam an Indian living in middle east with a permanent residence. With my wife and 1 child.
link