Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

PR card is Expiring Soon 

kand
kand

Posted On: 2/8/2017
kand
kand
Hi
My mother came Canada in 2012 on PR and left after 6 months. Now she came back this month but her PR is expiring in May 2017.

Can she stay after May 2017 or she has to leave Canada.

She hasn't stayed 2 years in 5 years so I don't know she can apply for renewal.

If she don't apply for renewal, will her status after May 2017 be illegal?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/9/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

kand wrote:
Hi
My mother came Canada in 2012 on PR and left after 6 months. Now she came back this month but her PR is expiring in May 2017.

Can she stay after May 2017 or she has to leave Canada.

She hasn't stayed 2 years in 5 years so I don't know she can apply for renewal.

If she don't apply for renewal, will her status after May 2017 be illegal?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

1. She can stay. She should not apply to extend her PR card until she has 2 years residing in Canada during the last 5 years, in her case January 2019
link
kand
kand

Posted On: 2/9/2017
kand
kand
Thanks
Can she go outside Canada and come back before 2019.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/10/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

kand wrote:
Thanks

1. If she does, she risks being reported for not meeting her PR residency obligations.
link
happy_canadian
happy_canadian

Posted On: 2/14/2017
happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hi Kand/ Moderator,
I am in similar situation and needed your advice, you say your mother has just returned back. I would like to know if your mother had any difficulty entering into Canada as she has not stayed for 2 years even though her PR card is still valid ? Do they not check at the time of entering in the country ? Please advise. I was told earlier that if a person is having a valid PR card but has not lived in the country for 2 years or more , then they can report this person for non compliance of residency obligations at the time of entering into the country even with a valid PR card. Is this correct ?

Thanks
IQ
PMM wrote:
Hi

kand wrote:
Thanks

1. If she does, she risks being reported for not meeting her PR residency obligations.
link