Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Travel Documents (as Venezuelan) 

gmszini
gmszini

Posted On: 2/19/2017
gmszini
gmszini
Hello,

I am a Venezuelan citizen currently living in Toronto. I have an open work permit valid until December 2018. Also, I have an open Family Sponsorship application in process. As a Venezuelan, I need a tourist visa to be able to travel outside of Canada and be able to re-enter Canada but I can’t seem to figure out how to apply for this document from inside Canada. My questions are the following:

As a Venezuelan, what type of travel document do I need to be able leave and re-enter the country?

How do I apply for the permit/visa I need that will allow me to re-enter the country?

Regards,
link

Posted On: 2/21/2017
Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us.

The following information comes directly from the IRCC article entitled "Can I leave and come back to Canada if I have a work permit?"

Generally, yes. To return to Canada to work, you will need a:
  • a valid passport or travel document;
  • a valid work permit if you are returning to work in Canada;
  • a valid visitor visa, if you are a citizen of a visa-required country. You must re-apply for a temporary resident visa (visitor visa) if:
    • your visa has expired; or
    • your visa was only valid for a single entry to Canada.
  • an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) if you are a citizen of a visa-exempt country and plan to return to Canada by air. You will not be able to board your flight without one.
    • If you received an initial study permit before August 1, 2015, you will need to apply for an eTA.
    • If you received an initial study permit on or after August 1, 2015, you will automatically be issued an eTA along with your permit.
    • When you renew your work permit, an eTA is not automatically renewed or issued. You may need to apply for one separately. See Extend your work permit.
A border officer will have some questions for you when you arrive back in Canada. If the officer believes there is reason to refuse your re-entry, you will not be able to re-enter Canada.

As their website suggests, you need to consider when your work permit was issued before considering applying for an eTA.

If you have any questions please contact the IRCC Call Centre line directly at 1-888-242-2100.

=====
Your Settlement.org team
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/21/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

Moderator wrote:
Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us.

The following information comes directly from the IRCC article entitled "Can I leave and come back to Canada if I have a work permit?"

Generally, yes. To return to Canada to work, you will need a:
  • a valid passport or travel document;
  • a valid work permit if you are returning to work in Canada;
  • a valid visitor visa, if you are a citizen of a visa-required country. You must re-apply for a temporary resident visa (visitor visa) if:
    • your visa has expired; or
    • your visa was only valid for a single entry to Canada.
  • an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) if you are a citizen of a visa-exempt country and plan to return to Canada by air. You will not be able to board your flight without one.
    • If you received an initial study permit before August 1, 2015, you will need to apply for an eTA.
    • If you received an initial study permit on or after August 1, 2015, you will automatically be issued an eTA along with your permit.
    • When you renew your work permit, an eTA is not automatically renewed or issued. You may need to apply for one separately. See Extend your work permit.
A border officer will have some questions for you when you arrive back in Canada. If the officer believes there is reason to refuse your re-entry, you will not be able to re-enter Canada.

As their website suggests, you need to consider when your work permit was issued before considering applying for an eTA.

If you have any questions please contact the IRCC Call Centre line directly at 1-888-242-2100.

=====
Your Settlement.org team

1. The OP is a Venezuelan citizen, therefor s/he requires a TRV to enter Canada, an ETA doesn't enter into it.
2. As s/he has a valid work permit in Canada s/he can apply for a TRV in Canada by following these instructions:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp
3. You use the package for applicants in Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp?countrySelect=CA#applications you also can apply on line.
link