Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

PR Travel Document Issues 

kellieannsingh
kellieannsingh

Posted On: 2/24/2017
kellieannsingh
kellieannsingh
I'm a US citizen and married my cdn husband in Canada in 1989. We started the application for PR Status not long after and before we heard anything from immigration we ended up moving back to the US and did not notify Canada immigration so were unaware if I was ever approved.

I have no documentation except a copy of a temporary Social Insurance card and I do have my passport from that time that references a file number. We are trying to come back to retire in Canada and have already purchased a house so we began the permanent residency application over from scratch. I received an email from immigration stating The records indicated I had previously entered Canada as a permanent residence and to apply to a PR travel document.

My problem is that I do not have my record of landing number to list on my application. I was wondering if it could be possible that since I have been with my husband (a Canadian Citizen) in the US for the last 28 years could it be possible that I would still have my PR status from that long ago? Should I just include a letter of explaination about why I do not have information about the 1st application?

If anyone can offer some information I would apprecite it. I plan on applying for the travel document and they also have my completed PR application which is being held until a determination is made about my previous status. I am a little concerned because we did not list this previous sponsorship on my new application because we never thought it went through and there was no intended deception.

Thank you for your time and sorry for the long post. Just wondered if anyone else had this same experience and what may have happened in their case! We are anxious to move to our new house and begin our life there! I love Canada!
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/25/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

kellieannsingh wrote:
I'm a US citizen and married my cdn husband in Canada in 1989. We started the application for PR Status not long after and before we heard anything from immigration we ended up moving back to the US and did not notify Canada immigration so were unaware if I was ever approved.

I have no documentation except a copy of a temporary Social Insurance card and I do have my passport from that time that references a file number. We are trying to come back to retire in Canada and have already purchased a house so we began the permanent residency application over from scratch. I received an email from immigration stating The records indicated I had previously entered Canada as a permanent residence and to apply to a PR travel document.

My problem is that I do not have my record of landing number to list on my application. I was wondering if it could be possible that since I have been with my husband (a Canadian Citizen) in the US for the last 28 years could it be possible that I would still have my PR status from that long ago? Should I just include a letter of explaination about why I do not have information about the 1st application?

If anyone can offer some information I would apprecite it. I plan on applying for the travel document and they also have my completed PR application which is being held until a determination is made about my previous status. I am a little concerned because we did not list this previous sponsorship on my new application because we never thought it went through and there was no intended deception.

Thank you for your time and sorry for the long post. Just wondered if anyone else had this same experience and what may have happened in their case! We are anxious to move to our new house and begin our life there! I love Canada!

1. The question is did you "land"? If you did, then you are still a PR as you have been residing abroad with a Canadian citizen. You don't require a PRTD.
2. You can apply for Verification of Entry, the instructions are at www.cic.gc.ca, but it takes 6 months.
3, If you never "landed" i.e. received an Immigration IMM 1000, it would have been either grey cardboard strip or a yellow piece of paper, depending on the year, your spouse will have to sponsor you.
link
kellieannsingh
kellieannsingh

Posted On: 3/2/2017
kellieannsingh
kellieannsingh
Thank you for your response. This is what is stated in the letter we received.

"Our records indicate that the relative you wish to sponsor had previously entered Canada as a permanent resident. Before this sponsorship proceeds further, it is important that your relative determine his/her current Canadian immigration status."

Does this mean that I landed if I entered as a permanent resident? It has been so long ago (almost 30 years) I can barely remember any of it. Again, thanks for replying. I have sent away for my verification of status and if that comes back that I do have PR status I will then apply for PR Travel Doc. If I don't have PR status then they will continue on with the new application we submitted in January. Thank you for your help!
link