Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

COPR and Flight to Canada 

Paula
Paula

Posted On: 3/21/2017
Paula
Paula
Hi there

I have just received my Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) outside Canada and I have a passport from a Visa –exemp country that expires on September 2017.

When boarding a flight to Canada, should I apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD)?.

I am not sure if the airlines will accept the COPR as a proof of permanent residency (because it hasn’t be validated by Canada yet).
Thank you
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/21/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

Paula wrote:
Hi there

I have just received my Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) outside Canada and I have a passport from a Visa –exemp country that expires on September 2017.

When boarding a flight to Canada, should I apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD)?.

I am not sure if the airlines will accept the COPR as a proof of permanent residency (because it hasn’t be validated by Canada yet).
Thank you

1.. You will need a PRTD to board a flight to Canada, the COPR is not valid as a travel document for PRs and the airline will deny boarding. I am assuming you already "landed" previously in Canada and are waiting for your PR card.
2. If you haven't "landed" and are flying to Canada to "land" then your COPR is sufficient as only PRs are issued PRTDs.
link
Paula
Paula

Posted On: 3/23/2017
Paula
Paula
Thanks,
I haven't landed yet, so I understand that my CORP should be fine to flight to Canada, then.
Thank you,

Paula
link