Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Living with Cdn. Spouse Abroad - Return to Canada 

FlorianNYC2017
FlorianNYC2017

Posted On: 5/1/2017
FlorianNYC2017
FlorianNYC2017
I have been living with my Canadian spouse for 8 years abroad and when picking up my 3rd PR card, the immigration official advised that the reason for being abroad should be my spouse working there. At the moment my spouse does not work.

Two questions:

1) Can I still count the days abroad living together with my spouse (proof of such available like apartment leases, joint accounts etc.) towards my PR residency obligations? My understanding is yes but I am seeking expert opinion and experience here.

2) My PR card expires in 2020. Assuming I move back to Canada with my spouse in late 2018 - what documents should we present next to passports, PR card, marriage certificate and Canadian citizenship card to the immigration official in order to get admitted as PR.

Many thanks for your support.
link
Wanderer
Wanderer

Posted On: 5/3/2017
Wanderer
Wanderer
You should read some of the decisions on Residency Obligation by IAD. There have been some where the PR was lost due to having one overseas first, and the CA citizen following, or there being issues of who was accompanying Whom. From what I have seen, all recent ones have affirmed that the law doesn't state who has to have accompanied Whom, or tre reason for being overseas, as Lin as the PR is regularly resident with the Canadian citizen spouse.

Being in a similar situation, could you share how you were able to get a new PR card? Did you use family address, or change way you provided permanent Canadian address on application, and how long did you have to stay in Canada when applying for renewal?
link
FlorianNYC2017
FlorianNYC2017

Posted On: 5/3/2017
FlorianNYC2017
FlorianNYC2017
Thanks for the feedback. We lived in Canada for almost 4 years together and I renewed just after we left during a visit after having moved outside. The third card I counted the days outside Canada, the card was produced and I attended an interview and explained the situation and the card was handed over. I did submit all applications from Canada and use a family address where we stay when visiting, for example to attend the pick up interview.
link