Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card Expiring Soon 

IanK
IanK

Posted On: 5/31/2017
IanK
IanK
Hi, I have already submitted an application to renew my PR Card, which expires in July 2017 and had not planned to travel until way after I received my new card. However, due to unforeseen circumstances I have to go to the US at the end of June. Please advise if the validity of a PR card is regarded the same way as that of a passport in that it technically becomes useless 6 months before the actual expiry date?

Essentially, I need to know if it's okay to travel outside of Canada (by air) and return just a few days before my PR card expires.

Travel dates: Leaving Canada on June 30, 2017 and returning on July 3, 2017.
PR Card expiration: July 6, 2017.

I do not know if this has any relevance to my situation but I also hold a valid Nexus card.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ian
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 5/31/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

IanK wrote:
Hi, I have already submitted an application to renew my PR Card, which expires in July 2017 and had not planned to travel until way after I received my new card. However, due to unforeseen circumstances I have to go to the US at the end of June. Please advise if the validity of a PR card is regarded the same way as that of a passport in that it technically becomes useless 6 months before the actual expiry date?

Essentially, I need to know if it's okay to travel outside of Canada (by air) and return just a few days before my PR card expires.

Travel dates: Leaving Canada on June 30, 2017 and returning on July 3, 2017.
PR Card expiration: July 6, 2017.

I do not know if this has any relevance to my situation but I also hold a valid Nexus card.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ian

1. As long as you present PR card is valid, then you shouldn't have any problems re-entering Canada.
link
nellikode
nellikode

Posted On: 7/23/2017
nellikode
nellikode
Surprisingly, I found this morning that my PR Card expires on Aug 02, 2017. I had applied for my Canadian Citizenship in last November 2016 and have not received any response so far except the acknowledgement of the initial application.

Without noticing that my PR card expires shortly I've booked for my tickets to Cuba in the 3rd week of August 2017, for a week. Also, I would like to travel to India in the coming November 2017.

How do I go about it? Do I stand any chance to travel to Cuba, as I had paid for the air ticket? Is there a provision to get a permission for me to travel to Cuba temporarily? How long do I have to wait to hear from the officials of the Canadian Citizenship Authorities, on my application sent in November 2016?
link