Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Place of birth confusion 

burakcayir
burakcayir

Posted On: 6/27/2017
burakcayir
burakcayir
Hello,
I asked the question here but also I called CIC three times and got different answers, so I am totally confused. Let me clarify my case:

In my COPR document, my place of birth is written as
"ABCD/EFGH"
which is truncated (not mistaken, just because of character limit last letter is missing) and normally it should be
"ABCD/EFGHI"
where "ABCD" is name of the city and "EFGHI" is province name.

The problem is, in my passport, my place of birth is written as ABCD (city name only, without province name)

So, in my citizenship application, what should I write? The truncated version, the correct version with province name, or only the city name? Should I explain it in a letter? Application form clearly says write it as shown on your immigration document but I am not sure anymore.
I got all three different answers from three different CIC officers. I don't want to amend my COPR document as it takes more than 6 months.

What do you suggest?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 6/27/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

burakcayir wrote:
Hello,
I asked the question here but also I called CIC three times and got different answers, so I am totally confused. Let me clarify my case:

In my COPR document, my place of birth is written as
"ABCD/EFGH"
which is truncated (not mistaken, just because of character limit last letter is missing) and normally it should be
"ABCD/EFGHI"
where "ABCD" is name of the city and "EFGHI" is province name.

The problem is, in my passport, my place of birth is written as ABCD (city name only, without province name)

So, in my citizenship application, what should I write? The truncated version, the correct version with province name, or only the city name? Should I explain it in a letter? Application form clearly says write it as shown on your immigration document but I am not sure anymore.
I got all three different answers from three different CIC officers. I don't want to amend my COPR document as it takes more than 6 months.

What do you suggest?

1, The whole correct version. The immigration records have your the whole name on file, they just truncated as there was insufficient space on the document.

"
Truncated (shortened) names on the immigration document For persons applying for a grant of citizenship under subsection 5(1) (adult), subsection 5(2) (minor) or section 11 (resumption) of the Citizenship Act with a truncated name on their immigration document (the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or permanent resident card), the citizenship certificate will be issued in the full name, as it appears in the primary name field in GCMS. Officers should note that GCMS permits 50 characters for the family name(s) and 50 characters for the given name(s); therefore, if a name is truncated on the immigration document, officers should ensure that the name on the citizenship certificate either is the full name or includes the maximum number of characters the system will print."
link