Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Open Work Permit Question 

giuseppe1795
giuseppe1795

Posted On: 7/31/2017
giuseppe1795
giuseppe1795
Hi there.

I'm italian I'm married to a PR holder.

Me and my wife got married the 26 of February. At that time I had no status in Canada. After the marriage we decided to go to Italy so i could introduce her to my family. Now we are planning to come back to Canada and I want to apply for a work permit, sponsorship and permanent resident.

My question is is there a way for me to apply for a OWP at the border since my wife is a PR? If not how long does it take to obtain a work permit from when I apply in land?

What could I do to support my wife while waiting for the PR?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 7/31/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

giuseppe1795 wrote:
Hi there.

I'm italian I'm married to a PR holder.

Me and my wife got married the 26 of February. At that time I had no status in Canada. After the marriage we decided to go to Italy so i could introduce her to my family. Now we are planning to come back to Canada and I want to apply for a work permit, sponsorship and permanent resident.

My question is is there a way for me to apply for a OWP at the border since my wife is a PR? If not how long does it take to obtain a work permit from when I apply in land?

What could I do to support my wife while waiting for the PR?

1. No, if you are admitted (you know that you require an ETA to return to Canada by Air?) you would include a request for an OWP with the "in Canada" spousal application. The processing time is 4 months.
2. Well you can't work until you receive the OWP.
link