Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Residency Obligation for a Child with PR Status 

Yorker13
Yorker13

Posted On: 7/31/2017
Yorker13
Yorker13
Hi all,

I have a son who become 5 years in this current month of July, he become PR in 2013 but was with his mother who is a PR as well since then and up to now they are outside of Canada.

I am about to renew my PR card, and was thinking to renew my son's PR card as well,but want to know if residency obligation applies on minors as well,since he didnt have any choice to stay in or out of Canada.

other scenario is,I apply to renounce his PR status and once done,i immediately sponsor him again, will CIC reject his case since he had a chance to be PR before and didnt meet RO,or becuz he is a minor child they might approve it.!

please share your opinion and experience about what options are a head of me!

thanks
link

Posted On: 8/1/2017
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. You may be able to find some helpful information in our Settlement.Org article here:

What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?

It is best to consider contacting a lawyer who is familiar with Canadian immigration application processes.

You may want to contact the IRCC call centre at 1-888-242-2100.

You can get help from a settlement agency in your area. Look for an agency in the Services Near Me map.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.
=====
Settlement.Org Team
link