Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Not Received PR Card Yet -How to Re-enter Canada? 

Posts: 503

Posted On: 8/2/2017
Posts: 503
I am a new comer to Canada landed on June 8th 2017 under Permanent resident visa for FSWP. I am panning to bring my child who is 7yrs, in october 2017 whose visa date is up to dec 2017.
My first concern is till date i didn't receive my PR card.

1)May i know the other options to travel to India in October and come back with my kid in 10 days.

2) May i know what are the papers i need to bring for my child to get registered in Canada during and after landing and also how long this process is going to take.

3) what are the child care benefits i am eligible for, how to apply for them, the necessary documents and again how long he should stay here,
because though i am married i am living here as a single parent to take care of my child. My spouse is a non accompanying dependent.

Now i am working as a full time volunteer since June 2017 to till date as a physiotherapy assistant without any income. I am waiting with hope to get a paid job to take care of myself and my kid.

Thank you
Posts: 2515

Posted On: 8/7/2017
Posts: 2515

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

In terms of leaving and re-entering Canada without a PR card, you can find some detailed information on the IRCC website in the I am outside of Canada and do not have a PR card. How can I return to Canada? section.

Here is an excerpt,

I am outside of Canada and do not have a PR card. How can I return to Canada?

Canada’s entry requirements are changing

Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.

Returning by private vehicle

There are other documents you can use to enter the country.

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent, and that is not available for public use.

Returning by commercial vehicle: airplane, bus, train, or boat

You must apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD), valid for one entry. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.

You can apply to replace your PR card when you return to Canada.

In terms of what you should bring in terms of documents for your child, you can find some helpful information in our Settlement.Org What documents should I bring with me when landing in Canada as a new immigrant? article.

Regarding applying for the Canada Child Benefit, you can find some detailed information in our Settlement.Org How do I apply for the Canada Child Benefit (CCB)?

In terms of your interest in finding employment, we suggest that you contact the nearest Employment Service for some assistance with your job search. You can find some helpful information in our What employment services are available in my community? article.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CIRS