Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

PR Card- Situation when outside of Canada 

Posts: 4

Posted On: 8/28/2017
Posts: 4

my father is a PR card holder and have lived in Canada for less than 5 years (which meant he have met the 730 days being physically in Canada)

but two yrs ago (2015) traveled outside of Canada thinking that he wasn't going to come back (because of family matters) didn't renew his PR card which expired last April of 2016.

Now, he's planning to return back to Canada, but apparently we don't know what processes we have to do in order for him to get back here.


1) Will he be able to renew his PR card by this time considering he's already gone for about 2 yrs?

2) what Are the things that he has to process?

3)(he is currently in the Philippines) in where can he process the things in #2?

Thank you!
Posts: 2512

Posted On: 8/30/2017
Posts: 2512

Thank you for sharing your questions with us.

As stated previously, in terms of leaving and re-entering Canada without a valid PR card, you can find some detailed information on the IRCC website in the I am outside of Canada and do not have a PR card. How can I return to Canada? section.

Here is an excerpt,

I am outside of Canada and do not have a PR card. How can I return to Canada?

Canada’s entry requirements are changing

Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.

Returning by private vehicle

There are other documents you can use to enter the country.

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent, and that is not available for public use.

Returning by commercial vehicle: airplane, bus, train, or boat

You must apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD), valid for one entry. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.

You can apply to replace your PR card when you return to Canada.

If your father would like to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD), he can find specific details regarding which documents are required and where to apply on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website in the Application for a Permanent Resident Travel Document section.

Once he is back in Canada he can look into renewing his PR card.

If you are in Canada, you may also want to contact the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly for some additional information.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CIRS