Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

How to request CBSA travel history record Online 

Posts: 1

Posted On: 9/24/2017
Posts: 1
I would like to request my CBSA travel history record (travel history report) Online.

I have some questions for the people who successfully got their report by applying online.

I know that there is the following website to get this report:

However, I am having questions on how to complete it:

1- What documents that I need to submit online along with this request? I assume I can upload PDF copies of passports, etc. Do I have to submit any supporting documents? The page says this is "optional".

2- In order to get my own travel report, do I need to pay the $5 fee? I think it is free if I am asking for my own records. I just want to confirm this.

3- There is question on: "Which type of records do you wish to request?"
The two choices are: Case files or Personal corporate records
I think for my own records, I should select "Case files". But I wanted to confirm this.

4- There is a blank area to answer this "Requests must include sufficient detail to enable an experienced employee of the CBSA, with a reasonable effort, to identify the records that are being requested. Examples include, but are not limited to, time periods, file numbers, client identifiers, file names, report titles, locations (office, port of entry or region/branch), names of individuals, passport numbers, dates of birth (if requesting traveller history or immigration files)."

If I want my exit/entry travel history, what should I put for the above item?

5- On the third page "Attach Documents", there is the following "Other Documents (optional): You may submit up to five (5) additional documents to help support your Access to Information or Privacy request, but this is optional."

I guess for this part, I need to upload some document. They say this is optional. What kind of documents have you uploaded in your case?

6- Do you know if the report shows the Exits from Canada by air travel (for example, if I travel by AIR from Toronto airport to London Airport in the UK)? I heard that exits from Canada by air are not shown and are not tracked by the CBSA. Is this correct?
Since I don't remember that exact dates of my air travel out of Canada from long time ago, so I am hoping that the report will have both my exact entry and the exits dates.

7- How long did it take you to get your report? I think there are two options one to get it by email and the other one to get a paper copy mailed to you. I am wondering the time associated with each request.

My final question is, if submitting documents is "optional" as they say on the form, then if I don't submit any copies of my IDs (like passports), when how they confirm that I am the person that I am claiming to be? If you are doing this online request, how does the CBSA confirm that the request really came from the real person and not any other person? I would think that we don't want our travel history to be send to the wrong person. So I am just wondering how they confirm this if the request is sent online and if providing supporting documents is "optional". I think it should not be "optional", and you must provide proof that you are the person you are claiming to be.

Thank you.
Posts: 3248

Posted On: 10/2/2017
Posts: 3248

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information.

We hope that other users of this forum who have already gone through this process can share some information and suggestions with you.

Regarding your questions, first of all, if you have checked the "When not to request your Travel History Report" section and still need to request a copy, it states that you can apply online by following the instructions on the Access to Information and Privacy online request page.

It states that it may take up to 30 days to process your request.

Additionally it states that requests for personal information pertaining to the requester and held by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) should be made to the CBSA under the Privacy Act. The requester must either: be in Canada, be a Canadian Citizen, or be a Permanent Resident.

If you are applying for yourself, you can do so under the Privacy Act, which is a free service provided by the Government of Canada.

There is some additional instruction regarding answering questions that states that if you are unsure of how to answer a question, use the "Help" feature by clicking on the icon in the top-right corner of the question box. This feature provides information to assist you when answering questions.

Regarding documents it states,

After you have answered all of the questions, you will be presented with a document checklist, which will list the documents you need to provide. You must scan and attach your documents with your request.

After you have completed your online request and paid your fee (if applicable), you will receive an e-mail confirming that we have received your request. If it was made under the Access to Information Act, you will also receive a payment receipt in this e-mail.

Regarding case files it states that case files include personal information about individuals immigration and customs records in the custody of CBSA. (i.e. Immigration file, Traveller History, Customs Declaration Card, etc)

Personal corporate records include personal information about an individual who is or was an officer or employee of CBSA or an individual who is or was performing services under contract for CBSA (i.e. information about a competition, performance evaluations, etc).

You may want to send any additional question and concerns regarding the request process for Access to Information at the CBSA to this e-mail they provide:

[email protected]

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CIRS