Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeServices for Specific Groups

Child, Youth and Family, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered, People with Disabilities, Seniors, Women...

Divorce & Cancel Divorce 

lovnvrdy
lovnvrdy

Posted On: 9/28/2017
lovnvrdy
lovnvrdy
I am a landed immigrent. my wife divorce me 10 september in back home not in canada. and i was landed in canada 11 september. I have only confermation of permanent resident letter. And she send a email to CIC with divorce letter. and CIC also send a email to know how and what was the cause of divorce also require to send some document. I want to know my Present Status. Is there any effect for divorce? what is the way to cancel it by my wife?
link
lovnvrdy
lovnvrdy

Posted On: 9/30/2017
lovnvrdy
lovnvrdy
Need some information about that topics. Divorce affect my immigration status?
link
Whitney
Whitney

Posted On: 2/22/2018
Whitney
Whitney
I'm not sure I can help you out with the specifics but you might be able to find the information you need on Settlement's page about how divorce affects your immigration status. You can find the article here. I hope this helps!
link
SeperatedSammy
SeperatedSammy

Posted On: 10/1/2019
SeperatedSammy
SeperatedSammy
I was married to my wife in Houston 2.5 years ago. She decided to seperate when we came back to Canada. We are both Canadian citizens. What do I need to do for a quick and easy divorce?
link
Martins
Martins

Posted On: 10/2/2020
Martins
Martins
Hello,
Eight months ago for safety reasons I had to leave Canada and my marriage.
I got married a Canadian man in 2019 in Toronto OT.
I'm not in Canada and need help to know if it is possible for me to file for divorce even though I'm not in Toronto?
link

Posted On: 10/7/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You or your spouse must fulfil the residency requirement to file for divorce in Ontario. You may wish to consult a reputable and registered lawyer familiar with immigration issues and family law regarding your situation. If you choose to contact 211 and speak to a Community Resource Navigator, they may be able to refer you to community legal clinics in Ontario.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Here is an excerpt from the Settlement.Org article, How can I get a divorce in Ontario? on the eligibility criteria:

You do not have to be a Canadian citizen to apply for a divorce, but there are certain criteria you must meet.
[...]
If you want an Ontario court to officially end your marriage, you can apply for a divorce if you meet these 3 eligibility criteria:

• You were legally married in Canada or in any other country.
  • You intend to separate permanently from your spouse or have left your spouse already, and you do not believe there is a possibility you will get back together.
  • You and/or your spouse have lived in Ontario for at least the 12 months preceding your application.

• The Divorce Act is the federal law that deals with divorce matters in Canada. If you are not legally married, divorce law does not apply to you.

There may be an exception to the residency requirement if both you and your spouse live outside Canada and you live in a country that does not recognize your Canadian marriage. You may be able to end your marriage under the Civil Marriage Act and can apply for divorce in Ontario with existing forms from the Ministry of the Attorney General.

For more information, you may wish to read the Steps to Justice article, How do I apply for a divorce by myself?. If you choose to file for divorce outside of Canada, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article Will my foreign divorce be recognized in Canada?

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
    link