Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Can I apply for Permanent Residency in Canada? 

Keebs0113
Keebs0113

Posted On: 11/30/2017
Keebs0113
Keebs0113
I'm American and my wife is Canadian. I was hoping to immigrate to Canada. My wife would be sponsoring me but I was wondering if I could apply for Permanent Residency while I'm living with my wife in Canada? (I currently work in the US and live with my wife in Canada on my days off.)

I don't currently possess either a student visa or a work visa. The Canadian Immigration website doesn't really give a clear answer and I don't want to get into any trouble staying in Canada past the normal 60 days while the application is being processed.

Thanks for any help that you can give me.
link
Keebs0113
Keebs0113

Posted On: 12/2/2017
Keebs0113
Keebs0113
Edit: 6 months, not 60 days.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 12/3/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

Keebs0113 wrote:
I'm American and my wife is Canadian. I was hoping to immigrate to Canada. My wife would be sponsoring me but I was wondering if I could apply for Permanent Residency while I'm living with my wife in Canada? (I currently work in the US and live with my wife in Canada on my days off.)

I don't currently possess either a student visa or a work visa. The Canadian Immigration website doesn't really give a clear answer and I don't want to get into any trouble staying in Canada past the normal 60 days while the application is being processed.

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

1. There shouldn't be any problem with your spouse sponsoring you. It would be an outside Canada sponsorship as I assume that you intend to keep commuting. See: http://tinyurl.com/yc8dxsgq
2. Since you keep entering and leaving Canada, your visitor status ends every time you leave and recommences every time you re-enter Canada. Note that there is always the possibility that you may be denied entry, if the CBSA officer decides that you are residing in Canada.
link