Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Travelling with a Canadian Spouse - PR Question 

proudcanuck
proudcanuck

Posted On: 12/14/2017
proudcanuck
proudcanuck
Hi Settlement.Org,

What a great website!

I am Canadian. My wife (British) has just received her Canadian Permanent Residency but we have had to come back to the UK, as both of our jobs in the UK have not yet expired. It will also take her some time to study for and finish the Canadian nursing exams so we can both find work in Canada.

We know that you have by physically present in Canada for 2 years every 5 years, but because 'we are outside of Canada for an extended amount of time, and travelling with a Canadian spouse' than we can accumulate residency days.

Does this mean, as we left Canada together, that every day we spend in the UK counts as 'residency days'?

Thank you for your help in the matter.

Best wishes,
Proud Canuck
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 12/14/2017
PMM
PMM
Hi

proudcanuck wrote:
Hi Settlement.Org,

What a great website!

I am Canadian. My wife (British) has just received her Canadian Permanent Residency but we have had to come back to the UK, as both of our jobs in the UK have not yet expired. It will also take her some time to study for and finish the Canadian nursing exams so we can both find work in Canada.

We know that you have by physically present in Canada for 2 years every 5 years, but because 'we are outside of Canada for an extended amount of time, and travelling with a Canadian spouse' than we can accumulate residency days.

Does this mean, as we left Canada together, that every day we spend in the UK counts as 'residency days'?

Best wishes,
Proud Canuck

1. Yes, a PR spouse accompanying his/her spouse abroad, maintains their PR status. Note the time doesn't count towards citizenship.
link
proudcanuck
proudcanuck

Posted On: 12/16/2017
proudcanuck
proudcanuck
Thanks PMM,

You seem to be really helpful on this forum! Are you a moderator?

1. As of now, do I need to let the Canadian Government know that we are abroad?
2. In the future, when we go to renew the PR, how will we be required to prove we are together (for example, our job contracts in the same city, bank statements, flight out together from Canada, etc.).

Best wishes,
Proud Canuck

PMM wrote:
Hi

proudcanuck wrote:
Hi Settlement.Org,

What a great website!

Best wishes,
Proud Canuck

1. Yes, a PR spouse accompanying his/her spouse abroad, maintains their PR status. Note the time doesn't count towards citizenship.
link
proudcanuck
proudcanuck

Posted On: 12/22/2017
proudcanuck
proudcanuck
Hello!

Just wondering if anyone is out there who can help with my follow up questions (see above for thread)!

1. As of now, do I need to let the Canadian Government know that we are abroad?
2. In the future, when we go to renew the PR, how will we be required to prove we are together (for example, our job contracts in the same city, bank statements, flight out together from Canada, etc.).

Best wishes,
Proud Canuck
link