Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Dual Canadian-US citizen returning to Canada 

laddison
laddison

Posted On: 1/1/2018
laddison
laddison
My friend was born and grew up in Toronto. In the 1980's, when she was in her 30's, she emigrated to the USA to become a nurse and became a US citizen in 2000. She is now ready to retire and is considering returning to Canada. She wants to know what her status would be here with regard to health care (i.e. would there be a lag in health care coverage under OHIP?) and bringing her savings into the country. Are there other status issues that she should be aware of before she decides whether to return home? Also, what government agency(ies) should she contact if she decides to resume Canadian residency?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/2/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

laddison wrote:
My friend was born and grew up in Toronto. In the 1980's, when she was in her 30's, she emigrated to the USA to become a nurse and became a US citizen in 2000. She is now ready to retire and is considering returning to Canada. She wants to know what her status would be here with regard to health care (i.e. would there be a lag in health care coverage under OHIP?) and bringing her savings into the country. Are there other status issues that she should be aware of before she decides whether to return home? Also, what government agency(ies) should she contact if she decides to resume Canadian residency?

1. Yes, 3 months waiting period for OHIP.
2. She doesn't have to contact anyone, other than Service Canada as her SIN may be dormant.
link