Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Steps to Apply for OAS - Sponsored Parents 

dmitriy123
dmitriy123

Posted On: 1/3/2018
dmitriy123
dmitriy123
Hi,

We sponsored my wife parents and they arrived in Canada and became permanent residents back in August 2008.

Our 10 years sponsorship period ends in August 2018.

Can you please advise on our steps to apply them for OAS? It might be a little bit pre-mature, but I would like to know the process. Are they supposed to receive any government mail advising them? Or it is up to us to act?

Thank you.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/4/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

dmitriy123 wrote:
Hi,

We sponsored my wife parents and they arrived in Canada and became permanent residents back in August 2008.

Our 10 years sponsorship period ends in August 2018.

Can you please advise on our steps to apply them for OAS? It might be a little bit pre-mature, but I would like to know the process. Are they supposed to receive any government mail advising them? Or it is up to us to act?

Thank you.

1. It is up to them to apply.
2. They require 10 full years in Canada to be eligible + 65 years old. They would be entitled to 10/40th of the pension while they remain in Canada, they can't collect while living overseas. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security.html
link