Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Citizenship - Current Tax Year 

astro101
astro101

Posted On: 1/16/2018
astro101
astro101
Hello. I have a quick question and CIC is not answering their lines.

I am applying for citizenship and I am unsure what to do about the 2017 tax year since I haven't received my T2 from my employer yet. Without this, I cannot file my taxes for 2017.

What should I put down on the citizenship application where it asks if I have filed for 2017? If I select "not filed" the options are "required" "not required"...to file.

If I select "not file" "required", they will probably return the application alledging I don't meet the requirements because I have not filed taxes for 2017...yet I cannot file them and would like to apply and get the process going. If I put "not filed" "not required", I may be giving information which could be considered untrue.

If I select "filed" "required", even though I haven't filed yet and I will be filing in a few months, I may be provding false information since technically speaking I have not filed yet when the application was submitted.

I don't want to have to wait 1 or 2 months file either. I would like to file this month.
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

astro101 wrote:
Hello. I have a quick question and CIC is not answering their lines.

I am applying for citizenship and I am unsure what to do about the 2017 tax year since I haven't received my T2 from my employer yet. Without this, I cannot file my taxes for 2017.

What should I put down on the citizenship application where it asks if I have filed for 2017? If I select "not filed" the options are "required" "not required"...to file.

If I select "not file" "required", they will probably return the application alledging I don't meet the requirements because I have not filed taxes for 2017...yet I cannot file them and would like to apply and get the process going. If I put "not filed" "not required", I may be giving information which could be considered untrue.

If I select "filed" "required", even though I haven't filed yet and I will be filing in a few months, I may be provding false information since technically speaking I have not filed yet when the application was submitted.

I don't want to have to wait 1 or 2 months file either. I would like to file this month.

1. Required to file Yes, Filed No.
2. IRCC knows taxes aren't due to April. List the previous 4 years prior to 2017.
link
astro101
astro101

astro101
astro101
Thank you for the response but technically speaking you can file any time between Dec. 31 and April. Taxes are due before April. April is the cut-off hard date.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/17/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

astro101 wrote:
Thank you for the response but technically speaking you can file any time between Dec. 31 and April. Taxes are due before April. April is the cut-off hard date.

1. Technical or not, I doubt if anyone has any "T" slips issued on the 2nd of January. Also note that self employed returns aren't due until June 15th.
link