Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Sponsoring family - study permit 

post2shan
post2shan

Posted On: 1/23/2018
post2shan
post2shan
I am a Permanent resident, but haven't lived in Canada for last 5 years and my PR card was expired. I am planing to visit Canada during this summer to renew my PR and to sponsor my family who lives in USA. I have 7 years old boy, I am planing to bring him with me. Since I cannot leave Canada during the sponsorship, I prefer my child to stay with me untill he get the sponsorship. I see that the schools in Canada doesn't accept admission with visitor visa. Is it possible to get study permit for my child till he stay with me? Do I have to check with private schools?

Pls advise.

-Shan
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 1/24/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

post2shan wrote:
I am a Permanent resident, but haven't lived in Canada for last 5 years and my PR card was expired. I am planing to visit Canada during this summer to renew my PR and to sponsor my family who lives in USA. I have 7 years old boy, I am planing to bring him with me. Since I cannot leave Canada during the sponsorship, I prefer my child to stay with me untill he get the sponsorship. I see that the schools in Canada doesn't accept admission with visitor visa. Is it possible to get study permit for my child till he stay with me? Do I have to check with private schools?

Pls advise.

-Shan

1. It appears that you haven't met your Residency obligations (RO) of residing in Canada for 2 of the past 5 years.
2. It is quite possible that you are reported on entry for not meeting the RO and if so you would have demonstrate at the appeal hearing why your PR status shouldn't be stripped.
3. If you are not reported on entry, then you will have to remain in Canada for 2 years to be in compliance with your RO and if you attempt to renew your PR card or sponsor your child before you are in compliance, IRCC will probably report you for not being in compliance.
4. It is unlikely that a Study permit would be issued to your child.
5. Also to cross the border with the child, you would have to have permission from the child's other parent, unless you have sole custody from the courts.
link
post2shan
post2shan

Posted On: 1/29/2018
post2shan
post2shan
Thanks for the reply @PMM.

#1. Yes, I haven't met RO. I am applying for travel document to enter Canada.
#3. Do you mean, I can sponsor my children and husband only after 2 years?
#5. I will get consent letter from my husband.
link