Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Finding out PR Status 

Posts: 1

Posted On: 6 days ago
Posts: 1
Good day

I was wondering who I would need to contact in order to check my immigration status in Canada.

When I was 6 years old, in 1996, my family and I immigrated to Canada. We had permanent residence but never got our citizenship before moving back to South Africa in 1999 due to family reasons.

A few years later in November 2005, we went to visit our extended family on holiday and the Canadian government had changed its laws at the time and we had to get visitors visas although we never officially renounced our Canadian PR.

My family then reapplied for permanent residence 2 years later in 2007.

In 2008, I went to Canada on a Student Visa and began my studies at U of T. With the backlog of applications for permanent residence, my family's application was kicked out when the new system came into place. I returned to South Africa in 2010 unable to complete my degree due to this.

Since then I have visited Canada twice on a multi-entry visitors visa and am now applying for another visitors visa.

Is there a way for to check our immigration status to see if we do still have permanent residence and will we have to apply for a Permanent Resident Card? If not, is it possible to reinstate our PR or would I need to apply on my own under the Express Entry option? We have all of our original landed papers (they look very different as this was 22 years ago) both my parents SIN cards and Ontario drivers licenses as well as my SIN card.

I have contacted the Canadian embassy in South Africa and the CIC home office but I can't get any answers other than "If you wish to live permanently in Canada you need to apply under Express Entry". My current position, my mother and father and brother all have our jobs listed on the NOC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated