Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

How Can We Both Get Citizenship? 

ForumUser
ForumUser

Posted On: 2/15/2018
ForumUser
ForumUser
I live in Mesa Arizona USA and my husband and mother in law are both Canadian citizens does that mean my daughter may already be a citizen or do I need to do the paper work to make her a citizen.

Also do I have to be living there to make sure she gets citizenship?

And for me do I get citizenship by marriage?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2/16/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

ForumUser wrote:
I live in Mesa Arizona USA and my husband and mother in law are both Canadian citizens does that mean my daughter may already be a citizen or do I need to do the paper work to make her a citizen.

Also do I have to be living there to make sure she gets citizenship?

And for me do I get citizenship by marriage?

1. If the daughter's father was a Canadian citizen at the time of her birth, then she is a Canadian citizen. (Assuming her father received his citizenship through birth or naturalization) She applies for proof of citizenship see: http://tinyurl.com/y78h8ndb
2. No, there is no citizenship through marriage. Your spouse would have to sponsor you for permanent residence (and show that once a visa is issued, he would be returning to Canada). Once you received Permanent Residence in Canada, you would have to reside in Canada for 3 years in a 5 year period before you could apply for citizenship.
link