Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

Further Examination-Port of Entry-Marital Status 

Crystal10
Crystal10

Posted On: 3/22/2018
Crystal10
Crystal10
Hi Everyone!

I have recently landed in Toronto last week on my Permanent Residence visa.

At the POE there was an issue with my COPR since my Marital status hasn't been updated from single to married.

I had applied for my PR through an agency in India and according to them they have sent the mail to cic informing the marital status long back but they did not send the details(Forms,medical and pcc) of my husband to CIC and told me that it's not required.

I Have all the mails with me in which i have given my consultancy the documents of my marriage but unfortunately they dint forward it to cic and it was my fault I blindly believed them.
Now when i landed here, i was stopped at the POE and my passport and Copr was taken by them.

They told me to come back after 2 weeks for further examination.

I am very scared as i dont know what is going to happen on that day.

Will they revoke my PR?

Does anyone have any information on this or went through a similar situation?

Thank you.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/22/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

Crystal10 wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I have recently landed in Toronto last week on my Permanent Residence visa.

At the POE there was an issue with my COPR since my Marital status hasn't been updated from single to married.

I had applied for my PR through an agency in India and according to them they have sent the mail to cic informing the marital status long back but they did not send the details(Forms,medical and pcc) of my husband to CIC and told me that it's not required.

I Have all the mails with me in which i have given my consultancy the documents of my marriage but unfortunately they dint forward it to cic and it was my fault I blindly believed them.
Now when i landed here, i was stopped at the POE and my passport and Copr was taken by them.

They told me to come back after 2 weeks for further examination.

I am very scared as i dont know what is going to happen on that day.

Will they revoke my PR?

Does anyone have any information on this or went through a similar situation?

Thank you.

1. The minimum is that CBSA will not process your "landing" and you will have to return to India, and add your spouse to your application.
2. If you had "Landed" as single, you would not be able to sponsor your spouse in the future, and it would have been possible that you be reported for representation.
3. As an aside blaming your consultant will not work, it was your duty to amend the application, return your COPR, and wait until your spouse was examined and new COPRs were issued. If you read the instructions with your COPR you were warned that all changes in family composition must be reported to CIC.
link
Anu90
Anu90

Posted On: 15 days ago
Anu90
Anu90
I am in the same situation now, I landed in Calgary but I got married after I got my COPR. I was not aware of procedure to get new copr.
Any idea what happens next? I landed alone. I had filled a web form to update but then I got email saying it doesn’t relate to any type of enquiry. I told the officer that I am not single and I am married at the counter. They have currently taken my passport and have asked me to wait for them to call.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 14 days ago
PMM
PMM
Hi

Anu90 wrote:
I am in the same situation now, I landed in Calgary but I got married after I got my COPR. I was not aware of procedure to get new copr.
Any idea what happens next? I landed alone. I had filled a web form to update but then I got email saying it doesn’t relate to any type of enquiry. I told the officer that I am not single and I am married at the counter. They have currently taken my passport and have asked me to wait for them to call.

1. Probably 2 options, most likely you will not be "landed" as you are no longer single and your spouse was not examined. You probably also received a letter with your COPR that you must inform the Visa office if your marital status changes. And you will have to return home to sort out your application, by adding your spouse and having him/her complete an application.
2. It is extremely unlikely, but if you are "landed" you will not be able to sponsor your spouse.
link