Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card Expired but Need to Travel 

Ruud
Ruud

Posted On: 4/5/2018
Ruud
Ruud
My wife and I are permanent residents and living in Ottawa.

Our PR card expired in February.

Mid January we applied for a new card.

We meet all requirement for issuing a new card.

My wife now has to travel abroad for work by the end of next week for a period of two weeks. She will be travelling with my 5 year old son who has Canadian citizenship. We haven't received the new card yet even though we marked our application as urgent (as suggested by Immigration).

We found out today that they haven't even started processing the application yet. Can she still return to Canada (i/e board a plane, enter the country) without any problem when she brings a copy of the application, the confirmation of permanent residency etc or does she require a PR Travel Document?

She can pick one up at the VISA Application Centre in Duesseldorf since it is only an hour drive away from where she needs to be, however they are unable (or unwilling) to provide processing time, so it might not even be worth going there.
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

Ruud wrote:

My wife now has to travel abroad for work by the end of next week for a period of two weeks. She will be travelling with my 5 year old son who has Canadian citizenship. We haven't received the new card yet even though we marked our application as urgent (as suggested by Immigration).

We found out today that they haven't even started processing the application yet. Can she still return to Canada (i/e board a plane, enter the country) without any problem when she brings a copy of the application, the confirmation of permanent residency etc or does she require a PR Travel Document?

She can pick one up at the VISA Application Centre in Duesseldorf since it is only an hour drive away from where she needs to be, however they are unable (or unwilling) to provide processing time, so it might not even be worth going there.

1. She will need either a PRTD to return to Canada by air. or return by land (non commercial) with a copy of her COPR.
link
Ruud
Ruud

Ruud
Ruud
Would you happen to know if the application for a PR Travel Document is a same day process. I know it is in Vienna but have no info on Dusseldorf.
She is a Dutch citizen btw.

PMM wrote:
Hi

Ruud wrote:

1. She will need either a PRTD to return to Canada by air. or return by land (non commercial) with a copy of her COPR.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 4/6/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

1. No, it is not a same day process, usually about a week or so, can be longer.
2. You would submit your application to the Visa Application Centre in Dusseldorf see:http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/germany/
3. The application would be processed in Vienna.

Ruud wrote:
Would you happen to know if the application for a PR Travel Document is a same day process. I know it is in Vienna but have no info on Dusseldorf.
She is a Dutch citizen btw.

PMM wrote:
Hi

Ruud wrote:

link
MIDScientist
MIDScientist

Posted On: 5/24/2018
MIDScientist
MIDScientist
To enter via the US from a third country one would need an ESTA. Can one obtain an ESTA as a permanent resident of Canada without the Canadian Permanent Resident card? Has anybody done this?
link