Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Long Absence and Expired PR Cards 

zainab faisal
zainab faisal
Posts: 1

Posted On: 4/23/2018
zainab faisal
zainab faisal
Posts: 1
Hi all,

Kindly provide info regarding my family expired PR cards.

Our cards expired in 2013 nov. i had not completed 730 days as I am employed outside Canada, and could not get holidays to stay more in Canada.

I need to know now I must reapply for new immigration or still there is chance of my family holding permanent resident status.

What I should do now to regain our status.
Posts: 2771

Posted On: 5/1/2018
Posts: 2771

Thank you for sharing your family's situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation and would be interested in finding out what your options are.

Regarding what you have stated about not meeting the residency requirements, it is important to note that in terms of loss of permanent residency, a person does not lose it until a final determination has been made.

This means that your PR status needs to be formally removed.

You can find some information on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website, Here is an excerpt,

Losing your permanent resident status does not happen automatically. You cannot lose your permanent resident status simply by living outside of Canada long enough that you don’t meet the residency requirement. Unless you have gone through an official process, you have not lost or given up your permanent resident status, even though you may not be eligible to return to Canada as a permanent resident.
You may lose your permanent resident status if:
You may lose your permanent resident status in one of the ways described above if:
  • you do not live in Canada for two out of five years;
  • you are convicted of a serious crime and told to leave Canada; or
  • you become a Canadian citizen.
You do not lose your permanent resident status if your PR card expires.

According to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) ENF 23 - Loss of Permanent Resident Status manual,

It is important to note that a permanent resident does not lose their status under A46(1)(b) until there is a final determination of the decision made outside Canada that they have failed to comply with the residency obligation under A28.

Permanent residents are not finally determined to have lost their permanent resident status until the right of appeal has been exhausted.

It also states in relation to the process of loss of permanent residency,

5. Departmental Policy

When an officer believes a permanent resident has failed to comply with their A28 residency obligation, then that officer should report the permanent resident under the provisions of A44(1) and recommend the issuing of a departure order.

The form Questionnaire: Determination of Permanent Resident Status (IMM 5511B) has been developed specifically to assist officers in making decisions regarding the permanent residency obligation, keeping in mind that the questionnaire alone is not sufficient to determine compliance with the residency obligation, and a detailed interview including examining humanitarian and compassionate criteria under A28(2)(c) is needed.

Furthermore, the officer cannot seize the person’s documents (such as the IMM 1000, Immigrant Visa and Record of Landing and the IMM 5292B, for example) despite writing an A44(1) report and issuing a removal order unless the officer believes there are reasonable grounds to do so in accordance with A140. The rationale behind this is that the person has a right to appeal the removal order and, until final determination of status, they remain a permanent resident and are the lawful owner of said documents.

Additionally, we have previously received some information from one of our legal researchers related to being in Canada after not meeting the residency requirements.

According to their research, the five-year time frame set out in the Refugee and Immigrant Protection Act is not static. Rather it is a moveable window that is dependent on the time at which a visa officer examines your situation. Therefore, if you cannot fulfill the two-year (730 day) requirement for the five-year time frame starting from when you became a permanent resident, you should remain in Canada until you can satisfy the requirement for another five-year time frame.

The IRCC’s Permanent Residency Status Determination Manual states:

For persons who have been permanent residents of Canada for more than five years, the only five-year period that can be considered in calculating whether an applicant has met the residency obligation is the one immediately before the application is received in the visa office. A28(2)(b)(ii) precludes a visa officer from examining any period other than the most recent five-year period immediately before the date of receipt of the application.

Since the officer cannot choose any five-year time period for consideration, but must always assess the most recent five-year time period (the one immediately preceding examination, there may still be the opportunity to satisfy the two-year “in Canada” requirement.

In terms of returning to Canada, you can find some helpful information in this I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card? question on the Immigration,Refugees and Citizenship Canada Help Centre section.

You mentioned that your PR cards have expired. You can find information on what your options are regarding returning to Canada without a PR card.

It is important to note that if you decide to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) at the nearest Canadian Visa Office, since you have not met your residency requirements, starting this process may also start the process to determine whether or not you have lost your PR status.

We suggest that it is important and probably best that you speak to a Lawyer who is familiar with Canadian immigration issues as soon as possible and for additional information regarding your situation and how to proceed.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CIRS