Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

New Spouse 

Posts: 1

Posted On: 7/26/2018
Posts: 1
I got married back 2010 to guy from algeria.he came to canada i got into big truch accident the day i pick him up.

he lived with me and my children for 2 weeks and moved to toronto with out me knowing .

he divorce me i didnt.can i remarry my finance from morrocco and bring him to canada even though i had false marriage also on odsp cuz the accident permentley.

would there be problem him coming here.he wants to take care me since im disable and i can barley do much with out being in pain.i hope this can happen cuz the first time wasnt my fault algerain my divorced me.

how long also would the process be to get him here ?t

Thanks for reading.
Posts: 2846

Posted On: 8/14/2018
Posts: 2846

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be interested in what your options are in this situation.

According to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website in the Who can apply to sponsor spouses, partners or children section,

You can’t be a sponsor if you:

  • have failed to pay:
    -an immigration loan
    -a performance bond
    -family support payments
  • have failed to provide for the basic needs of a previously-sponsored relative who received social assistance
  • are under a removal order
  • are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison
  • receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability
  • are still going through the process of bankruptcy (undischarged bankruptcy)
  • were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than five years ago
  • sponsored a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a permanent resident
  • have already applied to sponsor your current spouse, partner or child and a decision on your application hasn’t been made yet
  • were convicted of a violent or sexual offence, or an offence that caused bodily harm to a relative—or you attempted or threatened to commit any of these offences

In terms of how long it will take to process your spousal sponsorship application, you can find some information on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website in the Check Processing times section.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Settlement.Org Content and Information/Referral Specialist, CIRS