Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Inquiry Regarding PR card Renewal 

Sheila
Sheila

Posted On: 8/15/2018
Sheila
Sheila
I applied for my renewal April 2014. However, I got my permanent resident card only on Dec. 2015 and will expire on December 2020. Presently, I have almost completed my 730 days requirement (August 2018) for the last five years.

1) Can I file my renewal now even when the PR renewal forms states that one can file 9 months before expiry? I might not be able to complete the 730 requirements if I will file on 2020 because I have to be out of Canada on 2019.

2) I remembered during our immigration orientation that renewal may be done in any five-year period. However, I cannot find the basis of this. Is this policy still true?

Thank for your time and will await your advise.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 8/15/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

Sheila wrote:
I applied for my renewal April 2014. However, I got my permanent resident card only on Dec. 2015 and will expire on December 2020. Presently, I have almost completed my 730 days requirement (August 2018) for the last five years.

1) Can I file my renewal now even when the PR renewal forms states that one can file 9 months before expiry? I might not be able to complete the 730 requirements if I will file on 2020 because I have to be out of Canada on 2019.

2) I remembered during our immigration orientation that renewal may be done in any five-year period. However, I cannot find the basis of this. Is this policy still true?

Thank for your time and will await your advise.

1/ No, you can't apply for a renewal until 9 months before the expiry date of the PR Card.
link
SpurthiSuresh
SpurthiSuresh

Posted On: 8/19/2018
SpurthiSuresh
SpurthiSuresh
Hi,

I have a business visa worked for 6 months in Canada, then after 3 months I would step into Canada with work permit.
After my stay in Canada for 6 months. Can I apply PR since I completed my stay in Canada for an year. Could you please suggest me on this.
link