Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Divorcing Someone I Sponsored 

proudcanuck
proudcanuck

Posted On: 12/4/2018
proudcanuck
proudcanuck
Hi Settlement.Org,

I am divorcing a person that I sponsored. She never came to Canada after receiving her Permanent Residence Card. I have her card. I have read this page, but it is not applicable to my situation. I understand I am responsible for her financially if she enters Canada.

A few questions:

a) Who do I have to tell to inform them of our marriage status change?

I also read that there is a rule in which you cannot sponsor another person for 5 years, if they have entered Canada. My sponsored person never entered Canada except prior to receiving her PR card.

b) Do I have to wait 5 years before sponsoring someone else? Is that 5 years from time of application or from receipt of PR Card?

Thank you in advance and happy December!
Ravi
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 12/5/2018
PMM
PMM
Hi

proudcanuck wrote:
Hi Settlement.Org,

I am divorcing a person that I sponsored. She never came to Canada after receiving her Permanent Residence Card. I have her card. I have read this page, but it is not applicable to my situation. I understand I am responsible for her financially if she enters Canada.

A few questions:

I also read that there is a rule in which you cannot sponsor another person for 5 years, if they have entered Canada. My sponsored person never entered Canada except prior to receiving her PR card.

b) Do I have to wait 5 years before sponsoring someone else? Is that 5 years from time of application or from receipt of PR Card?

Ravi

1. If you sponsored spouse was issued a PR card, then she "landed". So you can't sponsor another spouse for 3 years after her date of "landing"
link
proudcanuck
proudcanuck

proudcanuck
proudcanuck
Hey PMM,

Even if she never entered Canada? And where do you see "3 years"?

Can you send a link showing this. I only see 5 years.

Thank you,
Ravi

----

PMM wrote:
Hi

proudcanuck wrote:
Hi Settlement.Org,

A few questions:

Ravi

1. If you sponsored spouse was issued a PR card, then she "landed". So you can't sponsor another spouse for 3 years after her date of "landing"
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

proudcanuck wrote:
Hey PMM,

Even if she never entered Canada? And where do you see "3 years"?

Can you send a link showing this. I only see 5 years.

Thank you,
Ravi

----

PMM wrote:
Hi

proudcanuck wrote:
Hi Settlement.Org,

A few questions:

Ravi

1. You said that you have her PR card. So it means that she "landed", unless you are mistaking her Confirmation of PR (it is a paper document) for the card, which is wallet sized with a photo.

Who can’t become a sponsor You can’t be a sponsor if you:
  • have failed to pay:
    • an immigration loan
    • a performance bond
    • family support payments
  • have failed to provide for the basic needs of a previously-sponsored relative who received social assistance
  • are under a removal order
  • are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison
  • receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability
  • are still going through the process of bankruptcy (undischarged bankruptcy)
  • were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than five years ago
  • sponsored a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a permanent resident
  • have already applied to sponsor your current spouse, partner or child and a decision on your application hasn’t been made yet
  • were convicted of a violent or sexual offence, or an offence that caused bodily harm to a relative—or you attempted or threatened to commit any of these offences
link