Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Canadian Living Abroad returning with Husband 

famvanderploeg
famvanderploeg

Posted On: 1/7/2019
famvanderploeg
famvanderploeg
I am a Canadian Citizen living abroad currently in Netherlands. I have been living here since January 2012 and married my Dutch husband in May 2012 (this coming may 7 years of marriage) we currently have 3 children. One born in Canada and two in the Netherlands who were granted Canadian citizenship through me being a Canadian.

We have decided that we would like to sell our current assets over here in NL and move to Canada. My husband has never lived in Canada other than being there for travel so we are trying to find the most information about getting him a residence card so he can live and work in Canada.

We are hearing many mixed advice about how to go about this, some have said that:

a) I will have to move back to Ontario and get a job and than apply for my husband to come over at a later date
(Obviously this is not ideal as that would mean splitting up our family for an extended period of time and we have never done that before)

..Side note we would be moving into the house my parents (both Canadian citizens born and raised until our financing went through on our own property)

b) I can apply from the Netherlands and once he is approved we can all come over together. (obviously more ideal but I have heard this can be harder to do and sometimes they aren't willing to approve)

I also understand I would be applying to Sponsor him to move to Canada etc and that it wouldn't be an application for residence card. I find the process very confusing I can't reach 1-800 # to contact someone directly to get information and the embassy here is less than helpful. I have tried Facebook and getting information from other Canadians living abroad but again the responses are mixed and it seems there is contradicting responses to how this is suppose to go.

Any information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in Advance
link

Posted On: 1/7/2019
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question on our forum.

In regards to your question you might find useful resources in the following articles:

How do I sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent child living outside of Canada?
https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/sponsorship/outside-canada/how-do-i-sponsor-a-spouse-common-law-or-conjugal-partner-or-dependent-child-living-outside-of-canada/

How can I apply to immigrate to Ontario?
https://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/immigrating-to-ontario/general-information-about-applying/how-can-i-apply-to-immigrate-to-ontario/

You might also obtain advice from a certified immigration consultant - Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer?
https://settlement.org/ontario/legal-services/lawyers-and-other-legal-help/find-a-lawyer/should-i-get-help-with-my-immigration-application-from-an-immigration-consultant-or-lawyer/

We hope that you will find this information useful.

Settlement.Org
link